Airbrush Color Question

Decorating By becca1110 Updated 10 May 2008 , 12:01am by Dee1219

becca1110 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys! I just got a kopykake airbrush and I am getting ready to make a cake that is for a baby shower. The blue that they sent me is a bit bright for what I am looking for. Is there anyway I can mix the blue with another color to make the color I want to achieve? I am new to airbrushing but I would like a light baby blue color and the color blue they gave me is very bright blue. Let me know if anyone has any adviceicon_smile.gif Thanks!

6 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 7

You can try using one drop of the blue to a couple drops of water...try it on a paper towel till you get the 'concentration' down to the shade you want for your cake.

becca1110 Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 7

bisbqueenb, there is a white color in the pack that I got. Do you think that it would be better to mix this with the blue or the water like you say? thank you for your help thumbs_up.gif

justsweet Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 7

Did you order the color white? if so you can mix the two together to get the hue you want. Are airbrushing the whole cake with blue or just doing a border?

If the the whole cake then color the frosting will be easier.

for the border spray lightly and not to close to the cake. You can try mixing with some vodka to lighten it up.

Practice first to get the color you want.

Also, it is best to order extra airbrush colors. I have about 14 which includes white. Chef master and americolor make some different colors and they are both great.

becca1110 Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 7

justsweet, thanks for the advice. I am coloring the whole cake so you might be right about tinting the icing instead. I am just so excited to use my airbrush icon_lol.gif But for future reference, it is okay to mix the colors?

bisbqueenb Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 7

Having the WHITE color makes shading so much easier! You can also use the browns and black colors to mute some colors. Just try a drop at a time and practice on paper towel or even coloring books to get the feel of color mixing and shading. I've been airbrushing for a LONG time...since the early 1980's , and still learn new tricks here and there! I think it is the best 'cake accessory' that I of the most used things in my list of cake things!

Dee1219 Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #7 of 7

OMG yes, mix your colors like crazy!!! Just remember what ratios you use! I love my airbrush, I lighten colors with white and darken them with brown and black as someone else stated. It is so much fun!!! always test your colors on paper towels first so you don't ruin your whole job!! Good luck and post us a photo when your done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%