"just A Small Little Cake, Please, Oh Please"

Business By kidscakelady Updated 11 May 2008 , 6:40pm by Bijoudelanuit

kidscakelady Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 13

Just have to share this little story. Yesterday I get a message from a woman who said that one of my best customers referred her to me and that she needs me to make her a "small little cake" (I've been filiing in at our school a lot over the past few weeks and didn't get to call her until last night.)
Anyway, again she says I need you to make me a small cake. I of course ask for how many people and for what date.

She responds.... well my son got married in Hawaii and he and his bride are coming home to have a small reception in the back yard.

Okay... How many servings and for when I ask again.

Oh... it's only for between 200-250 people and I would need it for 5/17.

I repsond... you mean next weekend?

Well, of course, "S" said she was sure that you would do it for me. It's just a small little cake, I'm sure you can help me since "S" is such a good customer.

Now... normally I might have given in and agreed but I actually turned her down becasue I am already booked solid- 3 cakes that day as it is--

She begged and begged me to help but I had to turn her down. I feel bad but what is a girls to do???

This is the first time that I have had to turn someone down -- I guess it's good though because I am getting a ton of orders now and am booked straight through til the end of July.

I know this is long but just wanted to share the story. My husband just laughed and laughed about "but it's just a small little cake"

12 replies
ashcake Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 13

This is funny. Just a small little cake! LOL. Congrats on being filled up til the end of July. Better to be filled up and have to turn down orders than not have any!

christeena Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 13

She might have to settle for sheet cakes from a grocery chain at this late date!! Did she not know any sooner than this that she would need cake for this event?? She seriously needs a reality check and it looks like she is going to get one!!! Lack of planning on her part does not constitute an emergency on your part!! Geez!!

aswartzw Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 13

A small little cake???? I was thinking she needed something for a family of 5!! icon_lol.gif People are crazy. I'm sure she's shocked that you can't do it for her but why is she waiting till the last minute anyway?

kathik Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 13

Well, just feeling a little mean here, but since "it's just a small little cake", tell her she should have plently of time to make it herself! icon_evil.gif

Glad you're booked with real orders!

kakelady00009 Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 13

It's absolutely amazing to me the thought process of others. I have found myself in that exact same predicament. What sucks is that people just assume that you can do it 'cause they know you, or someone recommended you....puhleeze...if they only knew how long it takes and the effort that is put into a cake, we wouldn't get the "last minute" calls saying "well I just thought I would ask...it's OK if you say No". I don't know about you guys, but that line is getting old.

smoore Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 13

If that's a small cake, what is a big cake???? icon_confused.gif

kidscakelady Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 13

Not sure why she waited until the last minute. I've never met this woman before. She did ask me, do you think "H"(the local grocery store) could do a tiered cake like this? I repsonded that if she wanted to check it out, to do so but she better call right away- I doubt that even they will do something like this last minute. Can only imagine waht she will end up with.

Love the comment poor planning on her part doesn't constitute and emergency on my part.

Almost wish that I did have the time- probably could have gotten her to pay a pretty penny since she was so desperate.

DoniB Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 13
Originally Posted by smoore

If that's a small cake, what is a big cake???? icon_confused.gif

No kidding! I wonder if her 'small, intimate dinner parties' are 100-200 people??? icon_razz.gif I know people like this... they think small is anything less than 500. Must be nice to be able to throw that kind of party on a regular basis, huh? icon_razz.gif

ccr03 Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 13

YOu know this reminds me of this one time this lady needed a quinceanera cake for 200 people and she called me TWO days before!

I didn't have any orders so I told her I could do it (it was before I really got my business underway) gave her my price plus a late fee - which was still VERY cheap (silly me icon_smile.gif), and she was SHOCKED that I would charge that much! The next day I saw her at the Sam's Club bakery.

indydebi Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:03am
post #11 of 13
Originally Posted by kidscakelady

Almost wish that I did have the time- probably could have gotten her to pay a pretty penny since she was so desperate.

Dont' bet on it .... I've found that when people want a "small, simple cake", what they mean is "I want this big elaborate thing with a small teeny tiny price".

You probably walked away from the biggest PITA of the year.

And you showed great restraint. I probably would have laughed and asked her "ok, what's the SMALL part of this order?"

mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:13am
post #12 of 13

icon_eek.gif That's a small little cake????
Indy is right she would have been a PITA to deal with. Why is she just ordering the cake now? It's not like they didn't know they had advanced plane tickets purchased to go get married in Hawaii. Poor planning on her part and now she's trying to get you to bail her out with her "small cake".

Bijoudelanuit Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 13

wow... when I saw " just a small little cake" I expected they wanted a fancy cake to serve 2 or 3.... it makes you wonder what people are thinking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%