Help!!! Bavarian Cream???

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 11 May 2008 , 3:50am by mjarvis78

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 10

A customer requested Bavarian cream filling, so I searched and searched and finally decided on a recipe. All the recipes where very similar, all containg gelatin and whipped cream. So I made it and I personally don't like it.
What is it supposed to taste like? When I use cream filling in my cakes I usually make a pastry cream, or I make the filling for a cream pie.
But this stuff is'nt anything like that.
Can anyone who has made it and tasted it describe to me what it supposed to be like and taste like (texture, flavor , constistency) so I know if I did it right or not?
Thank you so much in advance!

9 replies
cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 10

Over the years I've found people's idea of true Bavarian cream differs...most people around here seem to think "real" Bavarian cream is the custard/pudding stuff inside chocolate-covered doughnuts. icon_smile.gif It's totally not.

When I've gotten requests for it, I always ask. What you've made is "real" Bavarian cream, which I'm not much of a fan of either. Twice I've made real Bavarian cream and twice I've been told it wasn't what they thought it was going to be.

Oh, as far as texture and taste go, it should be pretty fluffy, rich and thick. It should taste well...um, sort of like not-very-sweet-custardy-buttercream or something. Sorry, that might not be much help!

CakeMommyTX Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 10

No that helps alot, its very fluffy (not too creamy) and to me has almost no flavor. The recipe called for 1/2 cup of sugar but it has 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of whipping cream, so its not even sweet at all.
I think I will make some pastry cream and call it day.
Thanks!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 10

I made it last week for a cake and did not use it because I thought I made it wrong.Mine was exactly how you described it...very thick with hardly any flavor.

cakeryluv Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 10

Yep, that's real Bavarian cream for ya! It's more of a thick mousse-type filling than a custardy pastry cream. I think you're wise to switch it up yourstruly! Good luck!!

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 10

I buy a sleeve of it at Country Kitchen. Tastes like bananas I think, its the stuff they put inside donuts. Customers love it, but I hated the stuff I made at home too.

CakeMommyTX Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 10

It was funny when I dumped the container of it out it held the shape, it looked like a Jello Mold gone wrong!
I've already made my pastry cream and it is soooo much better.
Its has a similar taste, a little bit sweeter but the consistency is much more appealing to the eye and mouth!

cakeryluv Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 10

icon_lol.gif It's funny because the two times I got it "wrong" both people requested "real Bavarian Cream filling". Both times I said "So, you want actual real Bavarian cream, not pastry cream, right?" and the answer was yes. icon_smile.gif To their surprise, they wanted pastry cream, and I was "wrong" icon_biggrin.gif I don't call it pastry cream anymore because people around here have no clue what it is, so I call it custard and they totally get it.

In fact, now that I'm compiling my menu I may actually identify it as Bavarian Custard and it might alleviate some of those issues.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:32am
post #9 of 10

There are so many different ideas on the Bavarian Creme. 2 different types I have made were - custard mixed with buttercream and add a bit of flavor to it.
-whipping cream ( or rich's non-dairy whipped) , a little milk and instant pudding, any flavor. Or add stuff to it. I add lorann type flavors or strawberry pie filling, or rasp preserves or oreos.

Most times you can never get that taste exactly what people are looking for...there are just too many variations!!

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:50am
post #10 of 10

When I make bavarian. I just use equal amounts of pastry cream and whipped cream. Fold the whipped cream into the pastry.

It is light but not as fluffy as reg whipped cream, and has a delicate vanilla flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%