Favorite Coffee Flavored Cake With What Frosting???

Baking By Michelle104 Updated 14 May 2008 , 11:28pm by HerBoudoir

Michelle104 Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 6

I haven't made any kind of mocha cake or coffee flavored cake yet and have a request for one. I would like to not have to use alcohol in it if at all possible.....any suggestions? If so, what kind of frosting to use with it? Thanks for any responses!!! icon_wink.gif

5 replies
KHalstead Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 6

just try adding some instant espresso powder to a chocolate cake

Michelle104 Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #3 of 6

Like international coffees or something similar?

bashini Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 6

I always use coffee flavouring in my coffee cake and for the coffee Butter cream. And then I chop some Cadju nuts and cover around the cake with it. YUMMY!

fbgirl00 Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 6

I use really strong coffee in place of the water, and I think I use like 2 T. of strong coffee in my mocha BC. Coffee and chocolate is my favorite combo!

HerBoudoir Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 6

Instant espresso powder IS the king of all coffee flavorings icon_smile.gif You can find it in a good grocery store with the other instant coffees - Megalia D'Oro is my brand of choice.

My favorite way to use it is to dissolve 1 tablespoon to the milk in my chocolate recipe; bake as usual. You don't taste the espresso so much as an intensified chocolate flavor. (I actually always add at least some espresso powder to anything I make that is chocolate - it really adds a lot to it!)

I will then frost the cake in espresso buttercream - dissolve 2-3 tablespoons (depending on how intense you like it) in some warm heavy cream or milk and add to your buttercream recipe in lieu of the other liquid you normally add.

Then I'll usually do just a touch of whipped cream to balance it out.

The important thing to note is that you do need to dissolve the espresso powder into a warm (doesn't need to be hot) liquid. Warm tap water works of if you have milk, just zap it in the microwave for a couple seconds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%