Candy Clay Help?

Decorating By adcdaylight Updated 12 May 2008 , 11:27am by KHalstead

adcdaylight Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 14

Has anyone tried to make the candy clay with white chocolate chips? Someone told me they used it and it worked ok. I tried it and the results were not good! The first time I made it based on the 14oz bag recipe and my bag was only 10oz so it never got hard. The second batch I calculated the correct amount of corn syrup, but its crumbly. Does it make that much difference using the wilton candy circles? If so I'll try it. If not, I am about to go buy some fondant!

Also, do you need to add gumpaste to it to give it stiffening?

THANKS!

13 replies
Loucinda Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 14

It'll be "crumbly" while it cures. Just knead it and then wrap it and let it set for a few hours - it usually works out fine.

adcdaylight Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks for the info!

I made it last night, and tried to work with it this morning... should I knead it and let it rest until its been a full 24 hrs?

Thanks!

KHalstead Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 14

I make it with the "almond bark" white chocolate stuff you get in the grocery stores...I think that's pretty much like the wilton candy melts and it works perfectlly.....I don't have ANY trouble with it whatsoever. If i want my end result stiffer I add less corn syrup If I want it to stay softer, like to cover a cake with it, then I add more....and I usually let it rest for an hr. or two just til it's not sooooo soft and warm. Don't over mix it when you initially add the corn syrup or it'll separate. Just mix it until it looks like the chocolate has seized and looks like a grainy paste, then plop it out on waxed paper and put another sheet on top and just let it sit on the counter for a few hrs. then come back and smoosh it together in a ball.....after kneading it for about 30 seconds it should be a perfectlly smooth ball of dough.

terrier Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 14

Here is a great recipe for Modelling chocolate....

4oz dark, milk or white chocolate
2 tablespoons liquid glucose, warmed

1. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water (don't let the base of the bowl sit in the water). Remove from the heat and stir in the glucose until the mixture is just combined.

2. Put the paste in a plastic bag and chill for about a 1 hour, until firm but pliable. Can be kept, tightly wrapped in the bag, in a cool place for several weeks. Break off pieces as required and knead until pliable. Roll out on a surface dusted with cornflour.

Makes 6 oz

This recipe is beautiful to work with!

Cheers,
ally thumbs_up.gif

joaaaann Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 14

KHalstead, can you give your instructions and measurements for your clay please??

KHalstead Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 14

just 14 oz. white chocolate and 1/3 cup of corn syrup......if I want to cover a cake I go with 12 oz. of chocolate or I add a little more cornsyrup...like another tsp or so. If I want it stiffer, like to model something...sometimes I go for a full pound of the white chocolate. HTH

Molly2 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 14

Thank You!

just_for_fun Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 14

What's the difference between candy clay and fondant? When would I use which one?

joaaaann Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 14

Yes, 'thank you!'...I can't wait to try this.

adcdaylight Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for replying everyone... I think I will try the almond bark.

Is glucose the same as corn syrup?

THanks!!
Adcdaylight

terrier Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 14

In cooking terms, corn syrup in this country (USA & Canada) is very often referred to as glucose. But it is not pure glucose; it also contains a fair bit of another, more complex, sugar, dextrin. Also, in that corn is largely an American crop, corn syrup has not been widely available in Europe. So your European cookbooks are really calling for pure glucose, which has probably been processed from grapes or honey.

Pure liquid glucose is available in supermarkets in Europe, but is harder to find in the US. So now that you've learned all that you need to, either track down some glucose, or use light corn syrup in your baking and frosting projects. After all, who's going to notice a little extra dextrin?

Answer out of my cake book icon_biggrin.gif

adcdaylight Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for replying everyone... I think I will try the almond bark.

Is glucose the same as corn syrup?

THanks!!
Adcdaylight

KHalstead Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:27am
post #14 of 14

they sell glucose at Michael's and A.C. Moore in the cake decorating section...but it can be pricey......I guess if you live in Europe....use the glucose....if you live in the U.s. go to save a lot and get a big ol' bottle of light corn syrup for a dollar! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%