Please Tell Me I'm Not The Only One....

Business By mkolmar Updated 10 May 2008 , 5:00am by BrandisBaked

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 11

For the last 2 1/2 years I've been getting to bed anywhere between 2--3am and getting up at 6:45. It seems to have all caught up to me this week. I honestly can not think straight and am running ragged from one appt.(for the kids) to another and trying to fit in my orders in between. I understand that mistakes sometimes happen but I've made mistakes on 3 cakes this week alone. Not the decorating --the cake itself, and they were really stupid mistakes that should have been noticed right away. uuggg! I had to re-bake 2 of them. I think I'm causing more damage to my bank account right now than good since I'm having to re-bake. (Of course the items donated for charity came out right, it's the paying customers items I messed up icon_rolleyes.gif )

Has anyone else ever been more counterproductive than good at times? I'm seriously beginning to question myself.

10 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 11

oh the horror of the cake...that's already made....you look at the order....it's the wrong flavor

or the wrong size...or...my personal favorite...THE WRONG DATE!

i been making 1 cake a week early for the past couple of weeks.

i'm trying to slow down a little ...and be more careful...last week i was icing up all the cakes for the next day...
then theres this poor lone iced cake....with no order....oh crud...where's the order?????

i looked all over...couldn't find it....i thought when they come i guess i'll just decorate it real fast...and hoped it wasn't a drawing...thank God it was just an extra cake i iced by accident....but that didn't make the day any less stressful waiting for the mystery customer to come in.

calgone take me away!

mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 11

Good to know I'm not the only one. I would have been frustrated to about the mystery customer that never was.

I just delivered a cake to my kids school for teacher appreciation week and got a speeding ticket. Yep, I'm on a roll this week *Lord, help me!*

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 11

I've had those weeks too. My worst week I lost 12 cakes because as my husband was delivering them, he got in a near-accident with an oil truck, and they went flying. I had to re-bake half of them. icon_cry.gif

You probably already do something like this, but when I'm really tired and stressed, I write down all the parts of a cake on dry-erase board, and just check them off. Yup, filling made. Yup, 1 batch icing.

Or, put the order sheets in clear plastic sleeves, and have them right out where I can triple-check them.

Sorry you are having a bad week. (((hug!))) icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 11

12 cake icon_surprised.gif That's awful, but at least your DH wasn't hurt.

The dry erase board is a really good idea!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, I am very thankful too. Good luck...I'll send good thoughts your way. icon_smile.gif

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 11

I'm having my day today. Two cakes due tomorrow. I stand up and start filling to the left.
I think I have vertigo or something. LOL. I'm supposed to do a cake with "The Wiggles". Fitting huh! Lol.

I'm going back to bed!

LU

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 11

I think we all have been down this road before. I also have a system like petit-four, so I can keep track of everything. But that doesn't help when you actually mess something up. Just the other night, all I was trying to do is mold some chocolate dolphins for a cake due Saturday. I molded them 2x and broke them 2x. I just gave up and went to bed, I knew I was already tired. I got some rest, came in from work and had no problem with them last night. I'm glad the cake and frosting is already done.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 11

well i got all the cakes iced for tomorrow....DANG IT...another mystery cake with no order!...half sheet this time.

i prayed "Lord please help me find that order!"

looked down--- there it was blew under the big mixer somehow...and was camoflaged nicely under a blanket of powdered sugar that blew out the top of the mixer when i accidently turned on to high... if God hadn't shown me...it woulda took the crew at CSI to find it!

mkolmar Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #10 of 11

Holy smokes, you lost another one icon_surprised.gif Just kidding.

Glad you found it before CSI had to come in and investigate.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 10 May 2008 , 5:00am
post #11 of 11

In addition to the single order slips, I type up a master list of orders and tape it to the fridge. When something is done, I cross it off the master list as I stick it in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%