Please Tell Me I'm Not The Only One....

Business By mkolmar Updated 10 May 2008 , 5:00am by BrandisBaked

mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #1 of 11

For the last 2 1/2 years I've been getting to bed anywhere between 2--3am and getting up at 6:45. It seems to have all caught up to me this week. I honestly can not think straight and am running ragged from one appt.(for the kids) to another and trying to fit in my orders in between. I understand that mistakes sometimes happen but I've made mistakes on 3 cakes this week alone. Not the decorating --the cake itself, and they were really stupid mistakes that should have been noticed right away. uuggg! I had to re-bake 2 of them. I think I'm causing more damage to my bank account right now than good since I'm having to re-bake. (Of course the items donated for charity came out right, it's the paying customers items I messed up icon_rolleyes.gif )

Has anyone else ever been more counterproductive than good at times? I'm seriously beginning to question myself.

10 replies
littlecake Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 11

oh the horror of the cake...that's already made....you look at the order....it's the wrong flavor

or the wrong size...or...my personal favorite...THE WRONG DATE!

i been making 1 cake a week early for the past couple of weeks.

i'm trying to slow down a little ...and be more careful...last week i was icing up all the cakes for the next day...
then theres this poor lone iced cake....with no order....oh crud...where's the order?????

i looked all over...couldn't find it....i thought when they come i guess i'll just decorate it real fast...and hoped it wasn't a drawing...thank God it was just an extra cake i iced by accident....but that didn't make the day any less stressful waiting for the mystery customer to come in.

calgone take me away!

mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 11

Good to know I'm not the only one. I would have been frustrated to about the mystery customer that never was.

I just delivered a cake to my kids school for teacher appreciation week and got a speeding ticket. Yep, I'm on a roll this week *Lord, help me!*

Petit-four Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 11

I've had those weeks too. My worst week I lost 12 cakes because as my husband was delivering them, he got in a near-accident with an oil truck, and they went flying. I had to re-bake half of them. icon_cry.gif

You probably already do something like this, but when I'm really tired and stressed, I write down all the parts of a cake on dry-erase board, and just check them off. Yup, filling made. Yup, 1 batch icing.

Or, put the order sheets in clear plastic sleeves, and have them right out where I can triple-check them.

Sorry you are having a bad week. (((hug!))) icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 11

12 cake icon_surprised.gif That's awful, but at least your DH wasn't hurt.

The dry erase board is a really good idea!

Petit-four Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, I am very thankful too. Good luck...I'll send good thoughts your way. icon_smile.gif

lu9129 Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 11

I'm having my day today. Two cakes due tomorrow. I stand up and start filling to the left.
I think I have vertigo or something. LOL. I'm supposed to do a cake with "The Wiggles". Fitting huh! Lol.

I'm going back to bed!

LU

tyty Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 11

I think we all have been down this road before. I also have a system like petit-four, so I can keep track of everything. But that doesn't help when you actually mess something up. Just the other night, all I was trying to do is mold some chocolate dolphins for a cake due Saturday. I molded them 2x and broke them 2x. I just gave up and went to bed, I knew I was already tired. I got some rest, came in from work and had no problem with them last night. I'm glad the cake and frosting is already done.

littlecake Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 11

well i got all the cakes iced for tomorrow....DANG IT...another mystery cake with no order!...half sheet this time.

i prayed "Lord please help me find that order!"

looked down--- there it was blew under the big mixer somehow...and was camoflaged nicely under a blanket of powdered sugar that blew out the top of the mixer when i accidently turned on to high... if God hadn't shown me...it woulda took the crew at CSI to find it!

mkolmar Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #10 of 11

Holy smokes, you lost another one icon_surprised.gif Just kidding.

Glad you found it before CSI had to come in and investigate.

BrandisBaked Posted 10 May 2008 , 5:00am
post #11 of 11

In addition to the single order slips, I type up a master list of orders and tape it to the fridge. When something is done, I cross it off the master list as I stick it in there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%