Ribbon Incorporated In Basketweave

Decorating By mamajan61 Updated 19 May 2008 , 6:53pm by mindywith3boys

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #1 of 25

Can someone tell me how to incorporate the ribbon with the basket weave? I've seen a few cakes come through that had actual ribbon in the basketweave. I guess I'm just too old to figure it out, but I would love to know how to make that happen....

I know there are many here that have perfected it.... I just can't see how in the world it gets accomplished...

24 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 25

I think Indydebi has one on her website. Maybe she will see this post and have an answer for you.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 25

I to would like to see indydebi's response to this. She actually has more than one like it in her picture gallery.

thumbs_up.gif

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:12am
post #4 of 25

I want to see also...

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #5 of 25

I want to see, too!!! Please & Thank You

mamajan61 Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:39am
post #6 of 25

I'm hoping that Indydebi will see this post sometime... I'm in desperate need to find some instructions for this....

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:57am
post #7 of 25

PM her, or try to email her via cakecentral....

mamajan61 Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:05am
post #8 of 25

I just did.... I'm hoping she'll respond... icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 25

Thanks for the PM on this..... My first cake with real ribbon in the basketweave was actually an idea from one of my brides. She asked if I could do it ... I said "sure!" .... then began figuring out how to do it! icon_lol.gif

I've never seen any other cakes with real ribbon, so I hope I'm not being Big-Ego'd here when I claim it to be a Debi-Original. (If it's not, then just for the record, I DID figure out how to do it myself so it's original to me!) icon_lol.gif

I do have pics of the step by step ... I was planning to put together a How-To section on my website(s). I will post them here later today ... they are all bigger than the 750 max size allowable, so it will take some time to reduce the size and post them ... and I have to meet with a bride in less than 2 hours, so I've got to get going and get to the shop.

It's become a very popular design for me .... when you show it to your first bride, be prepared for the great feedback you're going to get.

Pics coming later today! Promise!

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 25

Ok... I have 30 minutes before my bride gets here. I'm going to post these pics one at a time with a narrative (because I always screw up the order of posting so they show up right!)

Photo #1: I mark the side of the cake with a blop of icing to show where the rows of basketweave are going to be. Using the top blop as "glue" I attach the ribbon to the cake.....
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 25

photo #2: Make the first vertical weave over the top of the ribbon..
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 25

PHoto #3: Pulling the ribbon back out of the way, make the 2nd vertical weave .....
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 25

Again, holding the ribbon back out of the way, make the horizontal weaves, making sure the top one lines up with the ribbon ........
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 25

Photo #5: fold the ribbon over the horizontal weave just made. I lightly press the ribbon into the BC to hold it in place.....
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 25

Photo #6: Holding the ribbon straight out to the right, make the next vertical weave OVER the ribbon ....
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #16 of 25

Photo #7: Make the horizontal weaves ... these will be the ones that are on each side of the ribbon, not ON the ribbon.....
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 25

Photo #8: HOlding the ribbon back to the left, continue to make the next vertical weaves, folding the ribbon over the top of the vertical weave.....
LL
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #18 of 25

.... until the ribbon is completed around the cake! I don't cut the ribbon from the roll until I'm totally finished. If you do cut the ribbon to length first, cut it about 1.5 times the perimeter of your cake. You'll be surprised how much space the "hump" in the basketweave takes up!!
LL

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #19 of 25

dupl post....

mamajan61 Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #20 of 25

Thank you.... Thank you.... Thank you....

You are awesome!!!

mamajan61 Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #21 of 25

One last question....

When you go to cut the cake... how do you accomplish that?

I know... I know... I'm just FULL of questions...

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #22 of 25

The ribbon can be smaller than the width of the basketweave ... like this one, but I wouldnt' recommend that it be wider than the weave. (I prefer the smaller ribbon, personally.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=412533

indydebi Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajan61

One last question....

When you go to cut the cake... how do you accomplish that?

I know... I know... I'm just FULL of questions...

OH! Excellent question!!! when the bride and groom are ready to cut the cake, they will need to just pop the ribbon away from the cake in the place they are going to cut it. If they don't, the cutting action will mash the ribbon and it will pull on the cake and just be pitiful! (ask me how I know this! icon_redface.gif )

When I'm ready to cut the cake for the guests, I just grab one end of the ribbon and pull it off. (It's fun to watch those little squares of icing on top of the ribbon just go pop pop pop!!! icon_lol.gif )

When doing this design, you REALLY need to think about which way the ribbon goes (pull to the left, pull to the right). More than once ...ok, twice .... ok, ok, more than that!!! ..... I've had to scrape some off because I had the ribbon the wrong way. So watch carefully as you go along. Once you get going, you get a good rhythm going and it gets easier. All of my screw ups have been in the first 5 minutes of starting it.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #24 of 25

Thank you, the pictures help so much!

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 19 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #25 of 25

Thank you Debi! You're so clever! icon_biggrin.gif

~Mindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%