New: States That License Home Kitchens

Business By kelleym Updated 17 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm by craftybanana

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 11:07pm
post #391 of 437

A Facebook page is incredibly effective, if someone is working it relentlessly. icon_rolleyes.gif

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 3:00pm
post #392 of 437

South Carolina is now a CFL state.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 3:08pm
post #393 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

South Carolina is now a CFL state.

Here is a link to the final bill, which takes effect immediately:
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess119_2011-2012/bills/4689.htm

No wholesale allowed. If you make less than $500/year you don't have to do anything, if you make $500-$15,000/year you must apply to the state DOA for exemption from inspection and a label review, and if you make over $15K/year you are not covered under the CFL.

Congrats to SC home bakers!

For more info there is a Facebook page for the SC CFL:
https://www.facebook.com/SCCottageFoodLaw

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 3:23pm
post #394 of 437

Thanks jason_kraft for posting the information on the SC CFL.

SherylB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SherylB Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 10:25pm
post #395 of 437

South Carolina Governor Haley signed the cottage food bill on June 7, 2012. If interested, please go to http://www.facebook.com/SCCottageFoodLaw to get more information on the requirements and how to get started. In response to a post about facebook not being an effective way to commuicate to others about getting a cottage food law passed in your state...I must tell you that IS the way we did it in SC! It spread all over the state through our facebook page. We also had an online petition that was very effective in convincing some reluctant Senators that their constituents wanted this law. We also used the state web site to send emails to our Senators and Representatives, and got as many people to do it as we could. We have a very small core group of women who went to their Senators and Representatives to ask them to sponsor the bill, and ended up with three bills in session at one point. All you need is one sponsor to get the bill going. When it goes to committee, be available to go and speak about what the bill would mean to your state. We started our cottage food law movement last August and now 10 months later, we have the law in place. So I say to the states who want this law...go for it!!!!

kelleym Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 11:20pm
post #396 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherylB

South Carolina Governor Haley signed the cottage food bill on June 7, 2012. If interested, please go to http://www.facebook.com/SCCottageFoodLaw to get more information on the requirements and how to get started. In response to a post about facebook not being an effective way to commuicate to others about getting a cottage food law passed in your state...I must tell you that IS the way we did it in SC! It spread all over the state through our facebook page. We also had an online petition that was very effective in convincing some reluctant Senators that their constituents wanted this law. We also used the state web site to send emails to our Senators and Representatives, and got as many people to do it as we could. We have a very small core group of women who went to their Senators and Representatives to ask them to sponsor the bill, and ended up with three bills in session at one point. All you need is one sponsor to get the bill going. When it goes to committee, be available to go and speak about what the bill would mean to your state. We started our cottage food law movement last August and now 10 months later, we have the law in place. So I say to the states who want this law...go for it!!!!

South Carolina tipped the scale - now more than half the states in the US have some sort of cottage food law. icon_smile.gif

cewolff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cewolff Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 8:31pm
post #397 of 437

Hi

Just joined today to see if I could get some advice on starting a home business. I want to do cupcakes and pullaparts. I've been decorating off and on for about 16 years.

Thought you should have more up to date info.

I'd appreciate any advice given!

Carol

This is a direct quote from the Division of Food Safety on the "Fresh from Florida" website.

During the 2011 Legislative Session, the Florida Legislature enacted House Bill 7209 allowing individuals to manufacture, sell and store certain types of cottage food products in an unlicensed home kitchen. The Cottage Food law became effective on July 1, 2011. To better assist prospective cottage food operators, the Division of Food Safety (Division) created a draft guidance document which contains more detailed information regarding cottage food requirements. The Division plans to update this document as further information becomes available, so please check back often!

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/fs/CottageFoodAdvisoryMay%202012withFormNumber.pdf

Angel16193 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel16193 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 12:47am
post #398 of 437

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction to find out if Guam allowed home baking. I'm a military wife and would like to sell once there. Thanks

kelleym Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 12:48am
post #399 of 437

Although I am not positive, I have heard from other military wives that you need to check with the Base Commander. If anyone else knows the procedure, please post!

YesToCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YesToCupcakes Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 1:00am
post #400 of 437

Let's get Wisconsin to pass this law too!!! Please click on the link below to sign the petition. If you have family or friends that live here, pass it along to them ..... we are almost there!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/wisconsin-food-cottage-law/

Angel16193 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel16193 Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 11:30am
post #401 of 437

Just found out online that home baking and selling is legal in Guam. Of course there are inspections and fees, but I am super happy to be able to sell in Guam. You also have to have a seperate entrance from the outside of your house to the kitchen. The inspector isnt allowed to walk through private living spaces. As for on base, I do believe it has to be cleared through the base, but since I will not be living on base I am clear!

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 5:00am
post #402 of 437

Info for Texas is Incorrect, They do allow home bakeries, I went to the Fort Worth health department and they gave me a copy of the "rules" for a home baking bsuiness.

kelleym Posted 21 Jun 2012 , 5:03am
post #403 of 437

Thank you for the update.

ChristieDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristieDC Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 12:09am
post #404 of 437

Illinois should be green...found the ok for home bakeries directly from the link included in the chart and here is the section verifying it as it was a little difficult for me to find at first...

(C) Baked goods, such as, but not limited to,
breads, cookies, cakes, pies, and pastries are allowed. Only high-acid fruit pies that use the following fruits are allowed: apple, apricot, grape, peach, plum, quince, orange, nectarine, tangerine, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, boysenberry, cherry, cranberry, strawberry, red currants or a combination of these fruits. Fruit pies not listed may be produced by a cottage food operation provided their recipe has been tested and documented by a commercial laboratory, at the expense of the cottage food operation, as being not potentially hazardous, containing a pH equilibrium of less than 4.6. The following are potentially hazardous and prohibited from production and sale by a cottage food operation: pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, cheesecake, custard pies, creme pies, and pastries with potentially hazardous fillings or toppings.

The name of the section is:
PUBLIC HEALTH
(410 ILCS 625/) Food Handling Regulation Enforcement Act.

kelleym Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 12:13am
post #405 of 437

Yes, the old Excel spreadsheet is not being updated any more, as the thread is so large that people will never wade through it to find the most updated version, and there were repeated problems for some users trying to download the spreadsheet. This is the page where I keep all the information:
http://texascottagefoodlaw.com/Facts.aspx

Illinois allows sales at farmers markets only.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 12:31am
post #406 of 437

Kelley, New York should be added, we've had a cottage food law since the early 1970's. http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/consumer/processor.html There are a few restrictions, but many people here earn a living with their Home Processor permit.

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 6:45pm
post #407 of 437

Hi , i didnt read the all answers but I found these informations about NEW MEXICO:

http://www.nmenv.state.nm.us/fod/Food_Program/HomeBasedProcessing.htm

hope it can be useful!

chefsdc24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefsdc24 Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 11:14pm
post #408 of 437

Just wanted to share that Michigan has adopted the cottage food law. Its was set into place in 2010. Here is the website for those interested http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-50772_45851-240577--,00.html#ProductList. I hope this helps anyone trying to start in Michigan, like me. icon_biggrin.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Jul 2012 , 11:30pm
post #409 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesToCupcakes

Let's get Wisconsin to pass this law too!!! Please click on the link below to sign the petition. If you have family or friends that live here, pass it along to them ..... we are almost there!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I know someone who is talking with the law makers (the person who started the petition) it IS in the works but apparently the Senate had to wait for some change over...maybe the paperwork is underway now! icon_wink.gif

YesToCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YesToCupcakes Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 11:34am
post #410 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:

I know someone who is talking with the law makers (the person who started the petition) it IS in the works but apparently the Senate had to wait for some change over...maybe the paperwork is underway now! icon_wink.gif

I actually have been in contact with her as well ... she has kind of become a "mentor" to me. They do have something written up but they wont be voting on it until beginning of next year. I'm trying to help her get as many signatures as I can on the petition so if you haven't signed it or know people that would, please help to pass it along icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 8 Jul 2012 , 3:32pm
post #411 of 437
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:

I actually have been in contact with her as well ... she has kind of become a "mentor" to me. They do have something written up but they wont be voting on it until beginning of next year. I'm trying to help her get as many signatures as I can on the petition so if you haven't signed it or know people that would, please help to pass it along icon_lol.gif

awesome! thumbs_up.gif yes, i share it as much as possible without spamming people! lol
Find me on Facebook "Stephanie's Custom Cakery" (i'm from Kenosha!)

Metropolitan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Metropolitan Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 12:43am
post #412 of 437

Georgia is now in the process of trying to pass a Cottage Food Law. Here are the specifics: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fagr.georgia.gov%2FData%2FSites%2F1%2Fmedia%2Fag_news%2Flegal_notices%2Ffiles%2F2012%2F40-7-19cottagefoodregulations7-2-12.pdf&h=7AQGHLmqO
You can also go to the Georgia Cottage Food Law Facebook page.

kariz0201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kariz0201 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 8:21pm
post #413 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Kelley, New York should be added, we've had a cottage food law since the early 1970's. http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/consumer/processor.html There are a few restrictions, but many people here earn a living with their Home Processor permit.

I'm a bit confused about the laws in New York, I went to the link you posted but still don't understand. I bake for friends and family, but I am scared to bake for anyone else. My family is putting a lot of pressure on me to do it for profit because they've heard of several people that make a good living off of baking from their homes. I live in Westchester County and have been trying to get answers for months. All I keep getting is the run around. Any advice?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 12:08am
post #414 of 437

Greetings kariz, You are right, the NY Ag&Mkts page is difficult to understand. Mostly - the only allowed foods are ones that DO NOT NEED refrigeration. And you can sell wholesale with no restrictions; but retail sales are only allowed at agricultural venues.

I have two suggestions: Make a list of your questions and call the Albany phone number. Or, I teach Start & Run a Home-Based Food Business in several counties. See my classes page http://bakingfix.com/thefix/?page_id=2182

cupcakefixationwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefixationwoman Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 8:48pm
post #415 of 437

Hi,
I have been working on developing my recipes for over a year. My business model starts with Cottage Food License to fund a production space in the future. I accept the $15000/year gross earning limitation but object to the state requiring my recipes. Those recipes are then part of the public record and could be requested by anyone!!!
Anyone else come upon this requirement? It appears to be new as of the end of June. One other thing, if you add new recipes you have to submit them along with $75 so no giving one or two; if you don't submit it you may not sell it. I don't mind listing ingredients or processes but I do not want "trade secrets" I developed available to all.
Maybe other states do this...not sure? Suggestions? I think I am back to trying for a part time job for a long time to fund the production space. Sigh.
Thanks!

candyapplekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyapplekc Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 11:55am
post #416 of 437

Hi all,

I found this yesterday while looking up the progress for Maryland. I do not exactly now what this means so can someone with more knowlegde than I please explain it to me. The Maryland state governer Martin O'Mally signed bill 255 May 2, 2012 and it says it will take effect Oct 1, 2012. Does this mean the bill will be made law or it still has another part of the process to go through?

mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/billfile/sb0550.htm

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 4:17pm
post #417 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplekc

Hi all,

I found this yesterday while looking up the progress for Maryland. I do not exactly now what this means so can someone with more knowlegde than I please explain it to me. The Maryland state governer Martin O'Mally signed bill 255 May 2, 2012 and it says it will take effect Oct 1, 2012. Does this mean the bill will be made law or it still has another part of the process to go through?

The MD bill will become law on Oct 1, the governor signing the bill is the last step in the process.

candyapplekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyapplekc Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 4:45pm
post #418 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyapplekc

Hi all,

The MD bill will become law on Oct 1, the governor signing the bill is the last step in the process.

Thank you. This is a good step in the right direction.

jesus-saves-us-7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesus-saves-us-7 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 8:57pm
post #419 of 437

Hello all! Does anyone know about Delaware? Greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

Scribbletime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scribbletime Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 11:02pm
post #420 of 437

Georgia's new law just went into effect this month....September 2012. BUT as far as I know they are at this moment not trained and fully prepared to start issuing permits yet. That can change rapidly though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%