New: States That License Home Kitchens

Business By kelleym Updated 17 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm by craftybanana

Sara_Bee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara_Bee Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 12:38am
post #421 of 437

The Georgia Department of Agriculture is inspecting and approving cottage food kitchens as we speak. Get baking, y'all!

okiebker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okiebker Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 10:34pm
post #422 of 437

We need help in Oklahoma to get the Cottage Food Law. We have 3,121 signatures and need 79 more. I have tried to get on facebook, twitter, anybody and everybody I can talk to. Our representative for Bryan County is going to introduce it. We just need your prayers and if anyone would like to sign our petition, please go to Oklahoma Cottage Food Law and look at the peition started by Tina Curtis. She did a great job on it. Please help us or if you have any suggestions on what we might do, please let us me know. Okiebker.icon_cool.gif My e-mail is [email protected]..

okiebker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okiebker Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 10:43pm
post #423 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemama

I'm not sure about Clay county. I know Greene and Laclede rules well though, lol!

If you contact the nearest health department they will give you more information than you ever wanted to know.

I live in Durant, OK and I am working on getting signatures for the petition to go to the State. Please sign our petition by going to SignOn.org and place your signature. We have 3,121 signatures and need 4,000. We really do want this to go through. I am retired, and really need the extra money. Please let me know what you think.

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 7:25am
post #424 of 437

Hi
How much would you quote to this cake for a close friend?
Its a Baby Shower & Birthday of mom-to-be.. 2 themes tied up in 1 cake

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=482316555132039&set=a.482316535132041.119428.383450928351936&type=1&theater

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 4:47pm
post #425 of 437

SORRY
I posted in wrong window & now system does not allow me to delete it.. SO please IGNORE this post.
Thx

Alli Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alli Cakes Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 4:24am
post #426 of 437

Hi All!!

I am new to the site and considering the cake business. I have tried to find information about being home based in Nebraska on several of the state sites but I feel even more confused the more I read. I live in the middle of the state and our town is very small.  If there are any other Nebraskans out there that has some info I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks so much!

Jenny4ulove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny4ulove Posted 28 Jan 2013 , 10:51am
post #427 of 437

( [email protected] )
GREETINGS FROM Jenny ..............................

Hello
My name is miss Jenny Desmond viewing and going through your profile address today has made me to became interested in you,i will also like to know you more,and i want you to send an email to my email address so that i can send you my picture, for you to know and see whom i am.Here is my email address( [email protected] ) believe we can move from here! I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.
Jenny.(Remember the distance or color does not matter but love matters alt in life)
PLEASE I WOULD LIKE YOU TO GO DIRECT TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS BELOW TO CONTACT ME NOW.................................................
HAPPY TO READ FROM YOU
BYE....
( [email protected])

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 14 Feb 2013 , 11:34pm
post #428 of 437

Am I understanding correctly that under the IL cottage food law, I can bake in my own home, unlicensed and uninspected, but with a food safety cert, so long as I only sell at farmers markets? Or I can sell anywhere, so long as I bake in an inspected kitchen, and have a safety cert and insurance?

Im trying to work out how I can meet the minimum requirements to be able to legally sell to friends and co-workers who want to buy cakes from me, I'm not ready to launch a full-blown business and I don't have the option of building a compliant kitchen right now, but there is a commercial kitchen I can rent nearby in the meantime. 

Thanks for any advice anyone has. 

AtomicBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AtomicBakes Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 5:00pm
post #429 of 437

The Facebook page for the Louisiana Cottage Food Law is still active and the law will go before the state senate in less than 2 weeks. https://www.facebook.com/louisianabakersbill  If you live in Louisiana, please make sure to contact your state reps and senators!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 7:57pm
post #430 of 437

Anyone looking for information regarding New Jersey should go to our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/NJHomeBakersBill.  You can also follow us on Twitter: NJHomeBakerBill.  Just sayin'.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 11:57pm
post #431 of 437

AI do not see a document that has the list OP is talking about. Is it attached or linked in this thread somewhere? The only link I'm finding is the one for the Texas law. I do know that Florida has a Food Cottage Law, but as to how it varies from county to county I am unsure. I'm assuming it varies between city and county, but my city gives as little info as possible and the run around they give you for even the tiniest thing is frustrating at times.

noni195896 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noni195896 Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 1:30am
post #432 of 437

FYI: I just checked out Connecticut and they say NO to cottage law. But!!! I use a commercial kitchen to bake and have no worries about working/baking out of my home. Yes you can "share" a kitchen or or otherwise known as culinary incubators. There are fees involved and you have to bring your own foodstuff and small appliances Blenders etc. but if your local community center or church has a commercial kitchen you can chat with them and see if they have that option.Even as a local restaurant. The worst thing that can happen is they say no.

I found a website with a list of Culinary Incubators:

http://www.culinaryincubator.com/maps.php?state=*

I hope this helps

Evelyn Sanches

Lost in CT:D

waggs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waggs Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 2:31am
post #433 of 437

AI'm still confused about ny. I live in suffolk county. Checked the website, but still not sure if it is legal. Very confusing.

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 3:56am
post #434 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggs 

I'm still confused about ny. I live in suffolk county. Checked the website, but still not sure if it is legal. Very confusing.

I also live in Suffolk, and it is definitely illegal to sell from home.  I made some calls and searched online when I was wondering the same thing and custom cakes are specifically mentioned as an example of what is not allowed.  Check out the link with relevant info:  http://www.agriculture.ny.gov/FS/consumer/processor.html

This is from that site: 

"This exemption does not allow for home processors to make specialty items, such as birthday cakes, per order. Furthermore, it does not allow for direct sales of product from the home.

Home processors whose residences contain separate segregated facilities for food processing, may apply for licensing under Article 20-C.

Note: Homeowners should consult with local zoning officials for approval before commencing any home based business."

I was disappointed too. BUT there is an alternative for practicing so you can improve your skills and be ready to do it legally:  Volunteer with the organization Birthday Wishes of Long Island. They organize birthday parties at homeless shelters on Long Island.  There is one party a month at each shelter for all the kids with birthdays that month.  There are parties at shelters all over the island.  I just started as a volunteer.  I donated my first cake last week (for two babies turning 1) and am doing another one in 9 days.  You can do it as often as you want when you have time.  They tell you the gender, ages, number of kids attending and you have complete freedom to practice whatever technique, recipe, etc that you want.  The kids will be thrilled to get such a special cake.  Call their contact # if you're interested, very nice people.  There's enough parties listed that you can probably stick to the ones closest to your home.

I know this doesn't generate income and you have to pay for everything, but at least you get to practice and it's legal.

For anyone else interested, if you live elsewhere, Birthday Wishes operates in a couple of other places.  It was started in Boston.

HeartStrings2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeartStrings2 Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 2:20am
post #435 of 437

Alabama passed the Cottage Food Law in March 2014, and will be effective on June 1, 2014!!!  Check out http://cottagefoods.org/laws/usa/alabama/sb-159/ for all the details!!  It's exciting for us bakers in the great state of Alabama!

cfeehley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfeehley Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:08am
post #436 of 437

AHi to all, does anyone know what the laws are for a home based cake decorating business for North Carolina is? Please respond if you know. Thank You

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm
post #437 of 437

cfeehley: http://www.ncagr.gov/fooddrug/food/documents/HomeProcessorHandout.pdf

If NC is anything like Florida, you need to check not only with your state, but your city/county as well. For me it is the department of Agriculture that governs this and not all cities allow it despite the state allowing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%