New: States That License Home Kitchens

Business By kelleym Updated 17 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm by craftybanana

sweetjane3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane3 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #121 of 437

Sorry!! Princesscatt, New Jersey is a "NO". Regulated by the Dept of Health thumbsdown.gif

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:07pm
post #122 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjane3

Sorry!! Princesscatt, New Jersey is a "NO". Regulated by the Dept of Health thumbsdown.gif

Do you have to have a seperate kitchen or is just no all around?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #123 of 437

Updated list in PDF format.

mrslevite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslevite Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 1:29am
post #124 of 437

From Delaware's Food Establishment Regulatory Requirements ( http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/hsp/files/feplanreview0603.pdf ):
OPERATIONS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE A FOOD ESTABLISHMENT PERMIT
1. An establishment that offers only pre-packaged foods that are not potentially hazardous;
2. A produce stand that only offers whole, uncut fresh fruits and vegetables;
3. A food processing plant;
4. A kitchen in a private home if only food that is not potentially hazardous is prepared for sale or service
at a function such as a religious or charitable organization's bake sale if allowed by law and if the
consumer is informed by a clearly visible placard at the sales or service location that the food is
prepared in a kitchen that is not subject to regulation and inspection by the Division of Public Health;
5. An area where food that is prepared as specified immediately above is sold or offered for human
consumption;
6. A kitchen in a private home such as a small family day-care provider; or a bed-and-breakfast operation
that prepares and offers food to guests if the home is owner occupied, the number of available guest
bedrooms does not exceed 6, breakfast is the only meal offered, the number of guests served does not
exceed 18, and the consumer is informed by statements contained in published advertisements, mailed
brochures, and placards posted at the registration area that the food is prepared in a kitchen that is not
regulated and inspected by the Division of Public Health; or
7. A private home that receives catered or home-delivered food; or a private home in which an individual
is hired to prepare foods for personal consumption.

Not real clear, but I think I can sell cookies (not potentially hazardous) on Etsy.

sweetkris03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkris03 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #125 of 437

I live in Idaho I have been trying to get info. I live in Twin Falls, ID. We are trying to start a business in our home baking cupcakes and cookies. does anyone have any info on this for twin falls county?

thanks

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #126 of 437

Princesscat,
You can home bake in NJ if you have a seperate kitchen with a seperate entrance. I am starting to gather info but it is a nightmare. There is a bill pending in NJ to allow home baking so contact your reps and push it.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #127 of 437

Princesscatt,
You can home bake in NJ if you have a seperate kitchen with a seperate entrance. I am starting to gather info but it is a nightmare. There is a bill pending in NJ to allow home baking so contact your reps and push it.

shellhok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellhok Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:25pm
post #128 of 437

I cannot open this file either. Does anyone know about Oklahoma? I think it is a big NO. Thanks for any help.

CrankyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrankyCakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #129 of 437

I've contacted my health department twice but still no reply. Anyone know if you can have a home based business in Livingston county, New York. Or if you rent a space? Any help GREATLY appreciated.

jenny39191 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny39191 Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #130 of 437

Hello: I'm new here, and am falling in love with all the great information. I couldn't open the link, either. Does anyone know anything about licensing in Mississippi? Thanks much icon_smile.gif

ScrapMomG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScrapMomG Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 1:48am
post #131 of 437

For those of you in GA, where are you finding your information??? I have read twice over every word on the GA Dept. of Agriculture's website, and it doesn't say ANYTHING about home bakeries.
Melissa icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 3:21pm
post #132 of 437

Can't get the pdf to open Kelley, keeps giving me a "forbidden" error.

SugarBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBoss Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:25pm
post #133 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallycake

In the chart, Florida is listed as a 'no'--but I do have a good friend that has a very successful catering business from her partner's home. She and her best friend started it several years ago. They are licensed and everything.

I think maybe the difference is that the customer never comes to the house. Everything is delivered. I think that is what makes the difference in Florida...that the kitchen has to be a separate from the 'living' area...

I'm going to do some more calling/research and find out.

Hi Tally! Did you ever find out?? icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #134 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchis

How about NC?

NC is a Yes state!!!!

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 17 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm
post #135 of 437

Does anyone know about Snohomish County in WA state?

ggsbabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ggsbabycakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:51pm
post #136 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapMomG

For those of you in GA, where are you finding your information??? I have read twice over every word on the GA Dept. of Agriculture's website, and it doesn't say ANYTHING about home bakeries.
Melissa icon_smile.gif

I ive in Atlanta and my husband and I tried to start a catering business last year. We went through so much red tape with the Dept.of Health to only be tod that they no onger aow food preparation for sell uness you have a commissory (ie. restuarant, seperate kitchen) that has been permitted ny them. We have a mobile kitchen that doesn't have a stove or hood and they said we weren't alowed to cook in our home kitchen or outside the truck (BBQ). The laws in GA just changed last year. Had we appied 6 months earlier, we woud have made the cut under the grandfather clause.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #137 of 437

I don't have excel. Could someone tell me what the rules for Ohio are.

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 7:33pm
post #138 of 437

I live in Michigan and the list says NO. I called my local health Dept . and the guy said he didn't know so they are contacting the Dept of Ag. but I haven't heard anything back. anyone know anything more about Mich law? I don't make enough cakes to afford renting a kitchen somewhere or even putting in another kitchen in my home.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 2:40am
post #139 of 437

Hey Kelley,

The .pdf link on page 9 still doesn't work - just wanted to let you know. Thanks!

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #140 of 437

Hmm..did that not work the way I thought it would?

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:46pm
post #141 of 437

It would probably work better if you just click/copy and paste it in here. That type is oo small to read.

cattycornercakes Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #142 of 437

Sorry...I hardly ever post. I'm more of a lurker. I thought it would attach the file so it could be downloaded and viewed. I'll try again.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Nov 2009 , 5:56pm
post #143 of 437

Don't be sorry. That is great info and very nice of you to share.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 9:40pm
post #144 of 437

Hi

Unforutnately I cannot access the list...would someone be so kind as to look and see what the outcome for Nevada is? I would really appreciate this.

Thank You
Sherry

TeriO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TeriO Posted 7 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #145 of 437

Is there anyone out there from Arkansas? I would love to become legal from my kitchen as well, but don't know where to start. any info would be greatly appreciated.

cattycornercakes Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 4:42pm
post #146 of 437

Hi Sherry,

For Nevada, it says:

Dept - Health
Contact - Nancy Martin 775-684-4200
Home Kitchen Use - No, must have separate facility
Requirements - if not covered by local health dept, must have plans review by state, if approved, kitchen may be built, they will then inspect and issue a permit.
Food Establishment rules: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-446.html
Plan review instructions: http://health.nv.gov/index.hph?option=com_content&task=view&id=660&itemid=1462
Business License - issued locally for sole proprietorship

cassiopeia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassiopeia Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #147 of 437

I live in AZ and they wont allow it but I read somewhere on here that she rents a kitchen to do all the baking and then takes it home to decorate it because the health department only cares about the baking part. Is this legal?

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #148 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattycornercakes

Hmm..did that not work the way I thought it would?

Could you please tell me what info there is for New York? Thanks,

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 1:42pm
post #149 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

Georgia should be yellow. In some counties you can operate a cake business from your house as long as you have a seperate kitchen. I have two friends who have them. Unfortunatley, I'm in a county that doesn't.

The state of Georgia amended its Food Act in October of 2008. The new amendment is attached below. I spoke to Chris Carter of the Georgia Dept of Agriculture about this change and he said it was a great way for the state to assist food entrepreneurs in starting their baking businesses. You can only sell however at state/government sponsored Farmers' Markets. It's a start!

cattycornercakes Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:57pm
post #150 of 437

Arkansas

Dept - Health
Contact - Will Hastin 501-661-2171
Home Kitchen Use - No, must be separate facility from residence with its own toilet
Requirements: Submit plan review: information on requirements
http://www.healthyarkansas.com/rules_regs/guidelines_for_foodestablishments_2008.pdf
If plans are accepted County health inspector (state employee) will conduct inspection and issue permit for kitchen.
http://www.arkansas.gov/dfa/income_tax/documents/starting_a-new_business.pdf. explains procedures regarding sales taxes, etc.
must also obtain a business license which is handled locally.
Business License - issued locally. Following link explains procedures regarding sales taxes etc.:
http://www.arkansas.gov/dfa/income_tax/documents/starting_a-new_business.pdf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%