Im Freaking Out...i Have My 1St Taste/consult In 2 Days.help

Business By aprilcake Updated 10 May 2008 , 7:12am by akgirl10

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone...PLEASE...if you have done a taste/consult...please HELP me!

I thought this wouldn't come for awhile but my website is starting to get me a lot of business!

Anyways, a bride called yesterday to ask about prices and then called back today and wanted to schedule a consultation/tasting. She wanted it this Saturday but I knew I was too unprepared for that soon so I asked if we could do it next week but she couldnt because she is out of state and was only going to be in town that date...so I said ok because I didnt want to lose a customer. So its at 11:30a.m. on Saturday...TWO DAYS AWAY....i have been trying to convert my sun room into a wedding/office room...it has plenty to go but we are going to try and make it look as nice and professional as possible. I did let her know I am a home based bakery so she doesnt expect to pull up to a shop or bakery.

I am going to do the samples in cupcake form and that part doesnt worry me as much as the people part...since this is my first consult/taste...i am just so nervous as how to act and talk and be professional but also myself and...oh my golly...i have to clean, clean, clean and bake...

help me...what all do I need to do to get prepared and what all should I do at the actual time. Do I need a contract .... if so... do you have any I can use?

PLEASE HELP...please just dont read this and move on>>>I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP! I am desparate! Like I said...i didnt think I would have tastings for at least a few more months!

April :0)

8 replies
aprilcake Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 9

please...someone help me!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:39am
post #3 of 9

I just had my 2nd consult a few weeks ago so i know how you feel.

Here is what I did....
1. CLEAN house, jazz music, flowers on counter, etc
2. I got some really nice paper plates and nice napkins (i thought they might not want to eat on my plates)
3. I placed the cakes on a nice charger and put on counter so they saw when they walked to table.
4. I told them about me, experience etc. very short
5. I asked a little about wedding, location, number guests, etc.
6. I let them look through my photo books while I cut the cake. Served one slice of each cake and told them what it was. Then I left them for 2 min while I went in my office.
7. we discussed cake, what they liked or not
8. Then i discussed what ideas they had for the cake. I showed them my dummies for reference on size and height.
9. I looked at her photos of examples and discussed design. Then I drew and we talked design some more.
10. I asked if they had questions.none
11. then I went over the terms and conditions, told them just so they are not surprised. We did not fill out contract. I took debi's advice and told her that i did not expect a decision, i just wanted her to know what my terms were.
12. i boxed the cake up and out they went.
side note ( i saw another person's cake on a regular dixie plate in the back with saran wrap, i liked the look of mine in the box with a bow better).
They called 2 hours later to book.

I also had these papers ready for them....chart with serving sizes, all my flavors, how to store cake, non-toxic flower list, and a cookie/truffle/cake price list.

Just relax and take deep breaths. And remember, do the best you can and do not take it personally if you are told no. You do not buy every car you look at a the dealership, but it does not mean there is something wrong with the dealer.....

Good luck,,Julia

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #4 of 9

Tons of great tips and info on what people do here:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-14134-consultation.html

icon_smile.gif

aprilcake Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:34am
post #5 of 9

thanks so much! what type of cakes do you make and how big? I decided to do cupcakes...but holy cow...did I make a mistake and had her pick three flavors, fillings and icings...she wants one that is chocolate cake with s'more's filling, chocolate cake with raspberry filling and cream cheese frosting and white cake with regular buttercream frosting. wow. i am going to be doing a lot of baking tomorrow night!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:04am
post #6 of 9

Well I do 6" cakes bacause I want them to see the height and the totrting inside. Mine chose the expensive ones too. Next time maybe limit it to 2 cake flavors....

luvcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvcakez Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 9

Julia, you are sweet! Sounds kind too. Thanks for your reply, that helps me too.

Thank you Cake Central for this website.

aprilcake Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:23am
post #8 of 9

thanks so much for all the information!

I do have one last question...since I am new to this...I do not have a portfolio yet...i have only done 5 wedding type cakes.

So how should I go about my consult...should I introduce myself and let them know how I started taking classes and now I teach at the local craft store along with my home bakery? Should I tell them that I have only been decorating since October? Should I sit them down after introductions and start discussing their wedding theme and how they would like their cake?

I made a contract and it has info to fill in with all the wedding info. Should I give that to them to take with them if they dont book at the time and only write down on a piece of paper all the details to keep for myself? help! Thanks!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:12am
post #9 of 9

Well, I just looked at your photos, and you are more than capable of producing a fabulous wedding cake. If you want to to tell them you teach that's fine, but I don't think you need to say anything that might "apologize" for your lack of experience.

Is there anyway you can fill out the contract form on your computer, and then print them a copy? That way you will have a reference if they do come back and book with you. I think you will do great, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%