White Chocolate Ganache Disaster

Decorating By chitwngirl Updated 22 May 2008 , 11:16pm by Jayde

chitwngirl Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, so I tried to make a white chocolate ganache whipped filling. I boiled the heavy cream poured it on the chocolate whisked it together and put it in the fridge to cool. I also wanted a little hazelnut flavor, so I put in about a tablespoon of hazelnut syrup. After an hour I went to whip the mixture and it would not thicken. So, me being Betty Crocker and all thought some piping gel would help. It didn't, next I reached for the meringue powder, surely that would work, add 2 tablespoons. That too failed, I whipped that cream until I started seeing the little butter chunks start to appear. In despair I threw away my concoction. I strayed from the recipe I saw here on CC, by not adding rum and using the syrup instead. Was it because I used the syrup? Now I'm mad I even tried to do something new. If I would have stuck to a stabilized whip cream I would have been happy go lucky right now. Help this amateur baker who just wants something greater than the ordinary! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to Cake Central. Ganache is about the ratio of cream to chocolate. It isn't usually a problem to add other liquids, you usually have to increase the chocolate.

if, once it has cooled, the ganache won't whip, the best solution is to add a bit more melted chocolate.

If it is too thick to whip, you can gently warm it by putting your bowl over another that is filled with very warm water (not boiling) and stirring it until it is a softer mixture.

panipuri Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:49am
post #3 of 7

White chocolate ganache uses a different proportion of chocolate to cream - much higher than the milk/dark chocolate. If you do search online you should be able to find the proportion - I think it might even be 2 times the chocolate to cream.

aundrea Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #4 of 7

im glad this post is here. ive made gnache filling before but NEVER knew to whip it. i must be missing out on something great!
i have however made white choc. gnache. mainly used for truffles and yes the ratio is much higher- white choc. to heavy cream at least 2 - 1.
i hope you try again and let us know how it turns out!
good luck!

HerBoudoir Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 7

Never-fail whipped ganache:

Melt the chocolate with a SMALL amount of the heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temp but still liquid-y.

Keep the rest of the heavy cream well chilled; whip in a chilled bowl to medium peak (just as if you were making regular whipped cream).

Add the cooled ganache, and whip to stiff peak. Scrape the bowl to make sure there's no streaks.

This method is from the Cake Bible - I've never had any issues whatsoever getting it to a mousse consistency, no matter what ratio of chocolate to cream that I've used. It's very forgiving in that way.

The recipe in CB calls for equal parts chocolate to cream - 8 oz chocolate to 8 fluid oz of cream....but I've varied that quite a bit, mostly using more cream to give it a lighter texture.

I always add a little white chocolate ganache to my whipped cream to stablize it - typically only 2 ounces to as much as a cup and a half of heavy cream. Never any issues using the above method.

Hope this helps!

missmeg Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 7

Ahhh...white chocolate butter. I know it well icon_biggrin.gif :doh: It may have been my recipe you were using.

Rum vs. syrup probably did not affect the consistancy. Did you use heavy or whipping cream? I made the mistake once of thinking I could substitute light cream for heavy cream...doesn't work, you know icon_wink.gif.

I also wonder if you used baking squares or white choc. chips? I found the hard way that the white choc. chips don't work the same as baking squares. I now only use ghiredelli baking bars for white chocolate. Best stuff I've found.

Jayde Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

I am saving this post! I make whipped ganche all the time, and I have to wait FOREVER for the stuff to cool down enough to whip. I am going to try your method Sue, I think that is genius, and I feel very silly for not thinking of that before. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%