How Do I Store A Fondant Covered Cake With Jam Filling?

Decorating By TammyRiley Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:59pm by vdrsolo

TammyRiley Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 6

I wanted to make this cake and deliver the day before the function, but I have read that you cannot put fondant in the fridge as it sweats when it reaches room temperature and will destroy your decorating. However, if I want to use a jam filling that requires refridgeration, how long can the cake sit out?

Thanks for your help!
Tammy

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 6

Jam, which is cooked, normally does not require refrigeration, especially if the kitchen is cool.

However, you can refrigerate fondant. Just be sure when you pull the cake from the fridge that the room is nice and cool. It will minimize any condensation. You can also put a small fan on it to help dry any moisture.

Condensation is worst if the cake is cold and the room is warm.

vdrsolo Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

How about just using the sleeved pastry filling?? No refrigeration needed.

TammyRiley Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 6

vdrsolo ... what is sleeved pastry filling?

danijus Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 6

I'm making a fondant covered cake with chocolate mousse filling. Will my fondant dry out in the fridge.

vdrsolo Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyRiley

vdrsolo ... what is sleeved pastry filling?

It comes in 2lb packages, and is available at most cake decorating supply specialty stores and online as well

Here's an example:
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=pastry%20filling&page=-1

Jams & jellies can actually soak into your cake making it wet and causing it to break down. This stuff doesn't soak in and tastes really good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%