Cookies With Black Outlines

Baking By bethanycampbell Updated 8 May 2008 , 11:44pm by yankeegal

bethanycampbell Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 4

I think this is my first post; please bear with me. I'll also admit I'm a cupcake person, not a cookie person. I want to make some cookies for my kids to take to preschool, and I like the cutout cookies with the black outline. How do you guys do that? Do you actually pipe on the details and then pipe in the middle parts and smooth them, or is it a transfer, or what?

I tried to search, but I didn't know what technique to search for, otherwise I wouldn't have posted such a basic question. TIA.

3 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 4

I do the flooding of all the colors first, one color at a time. Once that icing has set up a crust (it doesn't take too long) I will pipe on the black outline. I use the same icing for the flooding as the outlining, just by adding a lot more powdered sugar to get a thicker icing. What I like to do is take all the leftover colored icing, mix it all together, and stiffen it with powdered sugar. If I need to darken the icing to a true black, I add food coloring. I use a #1s tip to do the outlining.

bethanycampbell Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 4

I'll search for more tips and recipes for flooding and which icing to use, but it's fairly simple right? Just outline the area I want in a specific color, then just pour on some icing to fill it in?

Thanks for the quick response.

yankeegal Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 4

I actually outline in black first-let it dry completely and then fill in the colors. It's almost like doing a paint by number.

Quote by @%username% on %date%