Help With Slanted Cake...

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 8 May 2008 , 9:48pm by Sarsi

tracycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 7

A co-worker has asked me about making a cake for her son, who is a pastor. She would like to have an open Bible on a pulpit. So, I'm thinking about stacking 12 x 18 cakes and carving the top one on a slant for the pulpit. For the Bible, since I don't have a book pan, I could carve an open book and put that on top.

My concern is putting a cake on a slant. Any ideas how to do this? I did a topsy turvey cake once but used the carve out method so nothing was really on a slant. If I put dowels in the cake, will that hold it without sliding?

P.S. The size of the cake doesn't really matter, probably enough to feed 75, but a little more or a little less doesn't matter.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
ccr03 Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 7

You could use a piece of styrofoam for the slanted part.

Like, stack the cake and then put the styrofoam and then the Bible on top of that.

Sarsi Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 7

are you doing the pulpit in fondant or buttercream??

tracycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 7

I think I'm going to cover the pulpit in fondant. I think I would have better luck getting a wood texture. The person that wants it really doesn't care. I appreciate any suggestions.

She had mentioned it to me before but I didn't know she was serious until today. Luckily, it's not needed until August.

Sarsi Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 7

In that case then, if you cover it in fondant, and you don't have a crazy slanted top (really steep) then you could just dowel the area that the Bible is going to be sitting on, spread a very small amount of piping gel where the Bible will sit, and lay it right on. Then hammer a dowel all the way through. The Bible cake will have to be sitting on a cardboard cake board cut to size though.... This is how I would do it... HTH!!

tracycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I didn't think about running a dowel all the way through. icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

You're welcome!! Hope it works out great!! Post a picture when you're finished....oh..August...well...pm me when you post it, cuz I really wana see it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%