Help With Slanted Cake...

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 8 May 2008 , 9:48pm by Sarsi

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 7

A co-worker has asked me about making a cake for her son, who is a pastor. She would like to have an open Bible on a pulpit. So, I'm thinking about stacking 12 x 18 cakes and carving the top one on a slant for the pulpit. For the Bible, since I don't have a book pan, I could carve an open book and put that on top.

My concern is putting a cake on a slant. Any ideas how to do this? I did a topsy turvey cake once but used the carve out method so nothing was really on a slant. If I put dowels in the cake, will that hold it without sliding?

P.S. The size of the cake doesn't really matter, probably enough to feed 75, but a little more or a little less doesn't matter.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 7

You could use a piece of styrofoam for the slanted part.

Like, stack the cake and then put the styrofoam and then the Bible on top of that.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 7

are you doing the pulpit in fondant or buttercream??

tracycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 7

I think I'm going to cover the pulpit in fondant. I think I would have better luck getting a wood texture. The person that wants it really doesn't care. I appreciate any suggestions.

She had mentioned it to me before but I didn't know she was serious until today. Luckily, it's not needed until August.

Sarsi Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 7

In that case then, if you cover it in fondant, and you don't have a crazy slanted top (really steep) then you could just dowel the area that the Bible is going to be sitting on, spread a very small amount of piping gel where the Bible will sit, and lay it right on. Then hammer a dowel all the way through. The Bible cake will have to be sitting on a cardboard cake board cut to size though.... This is how I would do it... HTH!!

tracycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks! I didn't think about running a dowel all the way through. icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

You're welcome!! Hope it works out great!! Post a picture when you're finished....oh..August...well...pm me when you post it, cuz I really wana see it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%