Anyone Know How To Do The Starburst Thing

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 9 May 2008 , 8:03pm by alisoncooks

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to make little flip flops for cup cakes for a 10 yr old who is adamant about how much she hates fondant (some clients...just kidding). I know I saw somewhere you heat the starburt in the micro and then roll them out. Does anyone know about how long to heat them and do you roll them out in cornstarch?? I imagine they get pretty sticky. thanks!

Sue

7 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 8

I tried a Duff rose with bubble gum the other day (my son was excited about it and thought starburst would make a great rose, his fav), I microwaved it for 15 seconds and it worked well. I did not have to use sugar or cornstarch. The gum worked really well.

Good idea for starburst slippers! Bubblegum might work for that too.

Kahuna Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 8

O.K. thanks, I might just try the gum, you just roll it out on the counter? For this kid I don't think it matters as long as it isn't fondant.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #4 of 8

yep, I rolled it out on my formica counter, didn't stick at all. I didn't melt it in the microwave, just softened it a bit. As soon as I was done - I was showing them off to my kids and DH and the kids were bugging me constantly until I let them chew the gum rose. icon_lol.gif

Good Luck!

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:25am
post #5 of 8

I made some veggies out of Starburst and it was pretty easy. I just had the pack laying on my stove (which was on & warm) and it heated them up enough to be able to work with them. They are really easy and fun. HTH

Kahuna Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 8

thanks for all of the help. this might be eaiser than fondant without all of the cornstarch mess!! I think it will be fun to use the different colors of starburst for the flip flops. Thank you so much for the tips

Sue

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 8

You can also make really cool roses and other stuff out of Airheads. Just warm them up in your hand and it's already flat....ready to roll icon_smile.gif

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 8

What a good idea for those little "pesky" decorations! Definitely quicker and probably cheaper for those of us who make our own. I'm trying to think of excuses to try this now... I LOVE starburst icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%