Transporting A Cake 3.5 Hours Away, Any Suggestions?

Decorating By lovetofrost Updated 14 May 2008 , 8:18pm by lovetofrost

lovetofrost Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 1/2 sheet baby shower cake and the customer is coming to pick it up tomorrow morn at 9 and drive 3.5 hours to the shower. any suggestions on support? do i need a cooler? should I use a regular buttercream icing? I'm afraid it will crack on the way if it crusts, but how do you get a non-dairy non-crusting icing? thanks for your advice in advance.

5 replies
judylynnturner Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 6

Have her put a comforter or foam down on the floor board. Tell her to drive carefully. Take pics before she leaves with the cake and have her sign a disclaimer stating the cake was in good shape when she left.

I would use a crusting buttercream. IF she has the AC on in the car, it should be fine. I have travelled as far as 5 hours, but I made the cake and I drove and I had foam and extra icing "just in case".

Also, make sure you use several layers of board for the cake. I find the single layer when travelling, will bow/curl some on the ends.

Hope it turns out well...

punkinpie Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

I recently traveled over 2 hours with a 1/2 sheet cake. It wasn't warm out so I had no problems that way. The buttercream did crack some. Next time I would make sure that the base is extra sturdy and make sure it can lay completely flat in the car. Do they have any of that griping liner to put under the cake board and under the box to keep it from moving around.

lovetofrost Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #4 of 6

thanks for all your advice. i haven't heard anything back from the lady, so i'm going to assume it made it there ok and all was fine.

saptally Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 6

I know you're done with that one but FYI, every time I visit the dollar store (where everything is $1), I pickup a roll of the non-adhesive drawer/shelf liner. I roll out/cut a portion of it to either put across the back of my trunk and/or line the cake box so it won't slide around. It's a cheap & reliable way to transport every cake.

lovetofrost Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 6

thanks, that is a really great idea. i heard of putting it under the box in the trunk, but under the board in the box sounds much better to me. I'll have to try that next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%