How Do You Do A Wood-Grain In Either Chocolate Or Fondant??

Decorating By DoniB Updated 9 May 2008 , 2:51pm by Starkie

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 8

Anyone have any clue or advice on this one? I would like it to be a stiff something, so that I can get the effect I want, so either chocolate melts or fondant... thanks for any advice!

I'll be quiet now. icon_smile.gif

Doni

7 replies
dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:33am
post #2 of 8

I have a fondant impression mat that makes the woodgrain for me. I just roll out my fondant and then press the mat over it and roll lightly with my hands or rolling pin and then place it onto the cake. I usually paint the surface with brown airbrush color and it looks pretty realistic. I have a pirate ship in my pics that I used this technique with, if you want to take a look.
HTH icon_smile.gif

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:12am
post #3 of 8

Not sure what you are needing, but I did a wood grain on some cookies using glaze and food color. This would probably work with the chocolate. I dipped a toothpick into brown color and went back and forth until it blended like I wanted it. I thought it looked like wood. I posted a picture (middle picture) in gallery. Good Luck

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:14am
post #4 of 8

You can get a wood grain tool at H depot, or Lowes. The kind they use for faux painting works great for chocolate. You might even do a google for faux painting tools

Mike

DoniB Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:32am
post #5 of 8

I"m actually trying to make a more realistic jewelry box cake. I had thought to do the sides in 'woodgrain', but it's looking more like they'll end up in fondant, or the design will change completely. icon_razz.gif It might be raspberry buttercream scrolls, if things keep going they way they are this morning! LOL

Thanks for your help!!!!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 8
DoniB Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 8

That's awesome! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

I've given up on the jewelry box idea, since i Have to leave in less than two hours. icon_razz.gif At this point, if I can get it frosted and some scrollwork done, I'll be happy. LOL Fortunately, it's not a required cake, just one I thought I'd try. I just waited too long to start it! icon_razz.gif That'll learn me...

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #8 of 8

Just an FYI ~ I did a faux woodgrain on some cakes this week. All I did was lightly and irregularly score the fondant with a toothpick, and occasionally made the oval "knots" in a few places. Then I put a few drops of clear vanilla in the lid of my Wilton brown gel, dipped a paintbrush in it, and painted my fondant. The color naturally went on darker in some places and lighter in others, and the scored markings came out great! Just an idea for you, for the future...

<S>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%