Serving Estimate Advice Needed

Decorating By Lindakbh Updated 9 May 2008 , 7:03am by xstitcher

Lindakbh Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 8

I am making just my second wedding reception cake next week and need some advice from the experts! It is an informal evening reception/party (the couple has already married) with a tropical theme. I believe there will be some food and a bar. Not that it's relevant, but I will also be a reception guest.

The bride has pretty much left it up to me on the number of servings and size of the cake. Originally we estimated 50 people. I am using the Wilton paisley pans and making the two smallest tiers. According to Wilton this will yield 51 wedding sized servings (which is the serving size they want to use). However, she has had 65 people RSVP. Do you think we will need more cake or can we count on 15 people not wanting any? I donât want to run out! Should I make one more small paisley tier (13 servings) to have on the side?

Thanks in advance for any help!

7 replies
FromScratch Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 8

If she has 65 people who are coming.. she needs to order more cake or you will run out. Is ther a reason she doesn't want to make sure there is enough cake for everyone? Is it a budget issue? I guess technically it's not your problem if they don't order enough cake, but you will need to let her know that it is a distinct possibility.. if she doesn't care.. then I guess you don't have to either. Just don't throw the extra cake in for free.

Lindakbh Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for replying! She will pay for additional cake- that's not a problem. Itâs that she is leaving it up to me to decide and Iâm not sure what to do. Itâs a buffet type set up so Iâm thinking that probably not everyone will want cake.

I donât want to make and charge her for more cake and then have nobody eat it. She is my DHâs coworker, so this is an informal arrangement (Iâm not a professional) and Iâm only charging for ingredients.

I made a cake for a shower recently and made extra because I had a few less servings than the number of people confirmed. I made extra cake and then it was left over so now Iâm unsure about what to count on. Itâs a buffet type set up so Iâm thinking that probably not everyone will want cake.

sugaah Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 8

I would think you should allow a slice of cake for each person whether they take it or not it's in the count.

azeboi2005 Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 8

it's always best to have leftover than not to have enough...that's alwasy been my motto. cake is cake and it will be eaten by either the guests or the hosts; why don't you make the larger and the smaller one, will that be enough?

ccr03 Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 8

I'm gonna have to agree. If 65 people are coming you need to have enough cake for 65 people. Let's say not every one eats it does mean some won't eat two. (I make at least one other person get cake at wedding so I can have two.)

Lindakbh Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone. I can see that there is a consensus for more cake!

Now I just need to figure out how to do that. She wants me to reproduce this cake by Denise: [url] [/url]

Of course I assured her it wouldnât look as nice since Iâm no professional! However, she would like for it to look as close to the original as possible. In the picture, it looks to me like the small and medium sized pans were used. However, if I use the larger and medium sized pans, that will be way too much cake and the top would not look the same, proportionally.

Do you think it would look alright using the large and small sized pans instead? Or do you think I should just make another cake to have on the side?

xstitcher Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:03am
post #8 of 8

Hi Lindakbh,

Just a thought, why don't you stack the pans on top of each other and see which ones look best to you? I don't personally have those pans so I'm not sure what it would look like otherwise I would have given u my humble opinion.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%