Fondant Drapes

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 8 May 2008 , 12:01pm by linedancer

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:58am
post #1 of 7

I have to do fondant drapes on a 6-10-14 stacked cake. The drapes will be zigzagged down the cake one on each tier. I've practiced on a 6" already with minimal success. I am petrified of thinking how the 14" drape is going to work. How do I pick this really long drape up while keeping it pleated and put it across the front of this cake? One end goes on the top and the other goes on the opposite side bottom.

I will be stacking and transporting the cake with the drapes on it. Also, I'll be using 50/50 fondant gumpaste.

Any suggestions.

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:04am
post #2 of 7

Hi pjaycakes, there is an article on "How to make fondant swags". I'm not sure whether this will be any help, but here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article63-How-To-Make-Fondant-Swags.html

pjaycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:33am
post #3 of 7

Thanks basini, I saw that tutorial, and it was helpful, but these are the big long drapes not the small swags. I'm just worried about the size and how to handle it.

bashini Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:41am
post #4 of 7

Did you try mixing a bit if tylose to the fondant? It willbe much easier for you to handle them.

If it is all fondant, it tend to break very easily.

pjaycakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:45am
post #5 of 7

I was going to use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. Would tylose in the fondant be better?

bashini Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #6 of 7

Either one will work perfectly. Most of the time I add tylose/CMC powder to the fondant. If you want to do this, add 1/2 teaspoon to 250g of fondant, and knead well.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #7 of 7

While browsing about the other day I came across a thread that discusses this. Went back and found it:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-585878.html

Hope it helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%