Satin Ice Or Home Made Mmf?

Decorating By jjmoore Updated 8 May 2008 , 11:43am by AnnieM

jjmoore Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #1 of 10

which taste better and which is easier to work with. I'm not a fondant person but i have a fondant cake coming up. Thanks

9 replies
kimberlina25 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #2 of 10

it kinda depends..... i think they both taste great, they are both easy to work with ( if you make the mmf right). I prefer to make mmf, i do have some satin ice (red and black, the difficult colors to get with mmf) and i like it. for me its a cost issue, i just find it easier and cheaper to make my own.

FromScratch Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:05am
post #3 of 10

I'd say neither.. Satin Ice is nice, but I don't liek the taste.. MMF is not the best fondant to work with. If you are going to spend the time to make fondant I can't recommend Michele Foster's recipe enough. It is the best homemade fondant I have tried. MMF is chewier than regular fondant and really sweet. Michele's fondant is not overly sweet and it isn't really chewy like MMF can be.

marthajo1 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:17am
post #4 of 10

I'm with Jeanne.....

Try making the "real" stuff. I do Toba's with Vanilla.

YAYI95 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #5 of 10

Good info to know I have made MMF and it is very sticky and soft no matter what I do. I just bought satin ice for a cake but havent used it but I am going to try the other recipes thanks jkalman, has anyone used rolled buttercream? How is it to work with?

mjballinger Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:33am
post #6 of 10

I just made some rolled buttercream last weekend because I was curious. It is much more "fragile" than other true fondants. It does have a nice sheen to it - which was great because I used it on sugar cookies shaped like apples. My children loved it. They liked the taste and texture much more than fondant. But again, it is not nearly as easy to work with. Just my opinion.

bashini Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:11am
post #7 of 10

I would say to go with Michele Foster's fondant. I haven't made it, but my friend made it and she gave me some to try. I love the taste of it.

I have made MMF, and I think its too sweet for me. And it was a bit sticky. But I like the lovely shine it gives.

wgoat5 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #8 of 10

I love the ease of opening up colored Satin Ice fondant ... with baking and making icing I just don't wanna make it.

Top fav though is Chocopan ANY flavor...

I recently tried the caramal and it was DELICIOUS
The Dark chocolate is a dream to work with.

If I would try to make it again I think I would try Micheles or Toba's

butterflywings Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:42am
post #9 of 10

I vote for Satin Ice. I have MMF. I've tried making it several times and it's either too sticky or too dry and to me, it's a PITA to make. IMO.

I've heard so many good review's of Michele Foster's, that when I have time, I'm going to give it a try.

AnnieM Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:43am
post #10 of 10

I just made my first batch of Michele Foster's fondant yesterday - I'll be using it this afternoon.

My DH and kids begrudgingly tried a taste of Michele's (the Wilton has scarred their tastebuds forever!) and they really liked it! My son said "it tastes like homemade marshmallows!", and my husband said, "I wouldn't peel this off a cake - I could eat it plain"

Our Hobby Lobby and Michaels just this week redid their Wilton aisles, and both now have small bottles of glycerin (2 oz. for $2.19). I had searched everywhere for food-grade glycerin and finally found a 16oz. bottle for $8.99 at a health food store nearby. Then Wilton had it. I bought the Wilton anyway, just to compare the taste - it's actually a little less tangy than the Now health food brand. I didn't use Wilton, because- what if their glycerin is what makes their fondant taste funky?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to using the fondant - the texture is very smooth and pliable.

Happy decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%