Luster Dust Help Please

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 13 May 2008 , 12:32pm by Denae

ladybuglau Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #1 of 9

Hi all, I've been having trouble applying silver and gold luster dusts to fondant. If I do it dry, it doesn't look even, and if I mix with vodka, it gets streaky then the fondant gets too sticky to apply a 2nd coat. What am I doing wrong here? Keep in mind, this is for something thats supposed to look like it's actually gold or silver, not just a little luster accent

8 replies
tenleysmommy Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:35am
post #2 of 9

I really wish I could help I have never had a problem,I don't use vodka I use lemon extract.I dip my brush in the lemon and then in the dust and just paint.But here is a little bump icon_wink.gif

sugarMomma Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 9

I have had the same problem and have had the best results brushing it on dry after the fondant is dry and reapplying coats.

Or when painting wet, I just dip the brush in vodka and then the luster dust and it is less streaky (the wetter, the streakier) and after it has dried the next day I've reapplied more dry dust to it. That has given me the shiniest result.

But I feel the color does best if the fondant is dry. Seems the moisture is what hems me up.

I do still want to know what the pros do (other than use an airbrush, which I wish I owned!)

tiptop57 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:37am
post #4 of 9

What are you painting? If small then use thick paint get a little ball on the tip of your brush and dab - do not go over the piece or that spot again until dry otherwise the fresh paint will remove the first paint layer. If the piece is big then I suggest an airbrush with gold luster airbrush spray or the spray can of Chef Rubber gold. I used a airbrush on this sculpture:

tlreetz Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:03am
post #5 of 9

I paint with luster dust a lot...I put some luster dust in a small shot glass and use an eye dropper to add ONE drop of vodka at a time, stir with a toothpick until it's a gel/paste consistency. Then paint away...if you need to apply a second coat, sit it in front of the fan to dry first!

bashini Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:21am
post #6 of 9

Hi there, I use Confectioner's Glaze to mix with Luctre Dust and I paint the fondant, when its a bit dry. You have to mix little bit of dust to a little bit of glaze and then paint on the fonant. If you are using the glaze, you must have the Glaze cleaner. I learnt this from another member. Here is the thread if you want to check it out.

Denae Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:40am
post #7 of 9

are you trying to paint on an entire cake or just a small item? if i put in on a cake...i airbrush it. country kitchen has it in an spray can and a liquid for your airbrush. also...if i paint i mix it with vanilla or lemon extract.

ladybuglau Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 9

thanks everyone, I guess this is what I was doing wrong... I was adding the dust to the vodka instead of vice versa and I think it was too thin. Plus, for the bigger things, I suppose I need to get the spray can which I saw for the 1st time this week. IWISH WISHWISH I had an airbrush machine!!!!!! icon_cry.gif

Denae Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #9 of 9

you can get an airbrush starter set with the everything icluded with colors and all for like $189 on that's where i got mine. it's a little one, but that is all i needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%