Lots Of Airbrush Questions

Decorating By Yomomma Updated 8 May 2008 , 10:13pm by Yomomma

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #1 of 7

I tried to used the search function to dig out answers for my questions but I'm getting no-where so here goes:

Is there any prep work done to fondant before airbrushing?

What kind of finish does it leave on fondant - matt, satin, shiny ?

If I airbrush the color white on ivory colored fondant what will I get?

Can you use pearl dust
mixed w/ vodka & a color, in an airbrush cup?

Where is the best place to purchase air brush colors?

What is the top of the line in colors for cake decoration?

I've heard of Luck's brand - do I have to be a business owner to purchase?

What is the difference between pearl sheen (an airbrush product) and pearl dust?

6 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:49am
post #2 of 7

I might be able to answer some of your questions

I air brushed the shark cake look at my pictures it was a flat finish the only prep work I did was just cover my cake to the way I wanted it.
Not sure about the white and ivory I would maybe play with it before actually painting it

I have always heard that if you donât clean your air brush right the pearl dust will clog you air brush

I get my air brush color at my local cake supply store it is the americolor brand

I have never used the Luck Brand so I donât know anything about it

If pearl sheen is an air brush product then Iâm sure itâs safe to use in your air brush I do use pearl dust but I only brush it on my cakes
I hope this helps some

Molly2

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 7

I have mixed pearl dust with vodka and sprayed it on my cake. I haven't had any trouble so far, but I have heard about people getting clogs or also that the alcohol causes the seals to break down. I have americolor brand colors which I purchased at my local cake shop. I've seen a shiny silver and gold in the Luck's brand, but I have not tried them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:03am
post #4 of 7

Q:Is there any prep work done to fondant before airbrushing?
A: Nope unless it has excess powdered sugar on it, dust that off.
Q:What kind of finish does it leave on fondant - matt, satin, shiny ?
A: usually matt
Q:If I airbrush the color white on ivory colored fondant what will I get?
A: A mess! icon_sad.gif Advoid using white as much as possible.
Q:Can you use Pearl Dust mixed w/ vodka & a color, in an airbrush cup?
A: mix the dust w/vodka OR color in a small container then add to ab cup. Don't try to mix it in the cup.
Q: What is the top of the line in colors for cake decoration?
a: this will vary from person to person. I had good luck w/Lucks.
Q: What is the difference between pearl sheen (an airbrush product) and Pearl Dust
A: Not exactly sure here.....pearl dust is a very, very fine dry powder. It must bve mixed w/a liquid such as vodka to be used in an ab. I think pearl sheen is a mixture of powder w/something like Vodka to be used in the ab....already mixed for you.
Yes, do be sure to clean you ab as soon as you finish working w/it especially if using peal dust type mixture. It will add years to the life of your abicon_smile.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:15am
post #5 of 7

I will say that at the cake supply store that I shop at they have the silver and gold shiny americolor it's really pretty I used it on my Army cake with the flag on it in my pictures the best advice that I have gotten about using my air brush is to always use the air brush cleaner after each use to keep it from clogging ( I bought that at the cake suply store) and so far I have not had any problems with my system

Molly2

dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 7

You could go to this website to order colors http://www.cakedeco.com/ or country kitchen.com and I think globalsugarart.com now sells them as well. Hope this helps.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 7

Ya'll are awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my many questions. I hope someday to be as helpful as ya'll have been. I can deco cookies pretty well but my cake deco experince is pretty sad right now. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%