Ounce (Weight) To Cup Conversion

Decorating By annieliz Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:40am by alanahodgson

annieliz Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 7

I've looked all over and am unable to find a conversion chart that goes from ounces to cups. All that ever comes up is fluid ounces and I need weight. Can anybody help me with this?

6 replies
SugarplumStudio Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't gone through it for accuracy, but I just googled and found this. Might be helpful:

vteventrider Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 7

Unfortunately when converting oz to cups with anything other than liquid it is very hard. It flour, sugar, stc. is mashed into a cup it will weigh more than if it is sifted into a cup or if it is humid the flour will weigh more then in a dry environment. This is why many bakers use oz over cups. One of my recipes that has both calls for 3cups of cake flour or 10.5 ox so each cup is approx 3.5 oz. Then for sugar it says 1 1/2 cups or 1.5 oz so each cup is approx 7 oz. This is a really rough estimate but I hope it helps some.

annieliz Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:17am
post #4 of 7

thank you that helps a lil. I'll figure it out somehow lol

annieliz Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 7

that online chart worked fabulous thank u thumbs_up.gif

homemaluhia Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #6 of 7

I use GourmetSleuth Kitchen conversions.
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/conversions.htm#c%20o%20n%20v%20e%20r%20s%20i%20o%20n %20c%20a%20l%20c%20u%20l%20a%20t%20o%20r

alanahodgson Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:40am
post #7 of 7

The simple fact is that there is no clear conversion from volume to weight. Whatever you are measuring has its own density to volume ratio and there's no standard conversion from one ingredient to the next. 1 cup of shortening will not weight the same as 1 cup of sugar.

Remember the old riddle what weighs more? A pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Obviously they weight the same, right? But if you think about the amount of space a pound of feathers takes up as opposed to a pound of bricks, I think that paints a pretty clear picture of the fact that any two items will not possess the same weight even if they possess the same amount of space. To say it a different way, imagine how much a cup of feathers would weigh as opposed to a cup of brick.

There are some standards that you can apply to any one specific item, as vteventrider
said, but to apply that across all ingredients would absolutely not work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%