What Would You Think???

Decorating By MandiT Updated 8 May 2008 , 3:10pm by loriana

MandiT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandiT Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 5

So two weeks ago I took a cake to a local bridal shop for a "taste audition" because they have a large trunk show coming up in June. Well, I waited paitently for a response and finally called a Wednesday of last week to get their feedback. During that conversation the lady said "It was great, everything tasted fine and we were impressed with how it looked". Well she also said that because of Prom that coming weekend she hadn't had a chance to look over the info I had left with them and that she would look over it and get back to me on Monday. Well monday came and went and no word so i called today and her story has totally frappin changed! Now she said "the cake was a bit dry and the icing seperated from the cake when we plated it". Um, I've only had ONE dry cake and that was when I switched methods and then after taht switched back to the old way and everything has been supermoist. I can semi-believe the fondant seperating from the cake because we didn't use the correct amount of buttercream underneath for the new type of fondant but just did two cakes with the same method last weekend and both of those were fabulous! So ne who, she asked if I would bring in ANOTHER sample cake before they make their decision on the trunk show....

What I'm trying to figure out is why/how her story changed from one week to the next and why wouldn't she have told me her issues with it the first time I asked instead of saying it was good? Is she just fishing for another free sample....am I putting too much on trying to land the trunk show? I'm so confused at this point! Should I just bag trying or will I possibly get a good amount of business from getting the promotion of a bridal shop?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Mandi

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #2 of 5

It would depend on how much potential there is. It might be worth another small cake, just for tasting.

Are they only choosing one cake person?
How many do they expect?
Will you provide samples at the event?

You haven't indicated if you have a licensed or legal business. If not, this could be a huge risk.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #3 of 5

why would they need another cake...if they didn't like the first one...then??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe she had more than one cake tasting and got the two of you mixed up?

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 5

Hmm... don't have much experience with this type of show. I have only helped out in one Wedding Expo and used dummy cakes for that.

From a human nature perspective, I just thought I would say that sometimes I find people are pleasant and agreeable af first. Later when they feel more comfortable or time goes by and you are not standing in front of them, they feel more comfortable saying what they really thought. She might have had a negative opinion all along but did not want to hurt your feelings.

But, if this is the case, please don't take her personally. I am sure you make GREAT cakes and it is only one person's opinion, you know? Do not let her get you down, I just thought I would share some insight as to why people change their opinions in a matter of days or weeks sometimes. Good luck with everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%