Imbc Okay With Meringue Powder Instead Of Actual Egg Whites?

Decorating By Katied75 Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm by Lindakbh

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 26

I want to try an IMBC recipe but I worry about feeding raw eggs to my kids/ friends and family. Can I substitute meringue powder for the eggs, and if so, how do I do it?

Also, I'm thinking of trying Kaye's IMBC recipe from the Whimsical Bakehouse. Is there another recipe you'd recommend over that?

Thanks,

Katie

25 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 26

I'm bumping this back up because I'm wondering the same thing. I wanted to try an IMBC but can't sell anything that needs to be refrigerated and thought this might be a way around that.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 26

You can buy eggs in the grocery store that are pasturized. They may cost a little bit more but I would feel much better knowing I had nothing to worry about. I too have wanted to try this type of icing but am a little worried about.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 26

Yes, you can use the meringue powder, and some think it actually keeps the icing more stable than using egg whites.

On a side note, the likelihood of any danger is from egg whites is quite rare.

scnix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scnix Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 26

I to was wondering this, that is great, can't wait to try it!
Thanks

MichelleM77 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:00pm
post #6 of 26

I have a cousin who landed in the hospital with salmonella and almost died. I know it's rare, but it's still out there. I don't want to take any chances.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 26

Pasteurized egg whites are quiet easy to find. They should be at your local grocery.

Mike

MichelleM77 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 26

Guys, I know where to get them....does the recipe work out okay?

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 26

does anyone have a IMBC / SMBC recipe using the meringue powder?

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 26

I think most of the meringue powder cans have the converstion for you...........1 egg = __ meringue powder.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 26

There was a recent recipe for this posted on CC. I'll see if I can find it.

lsawyer Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 26

Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7103-7-Supreme-Butter-Cream.html

I made it, and liked it a lot. It doesn't crust, so I plan on playing with it by either reducing the amount of Sweetex or increasing the amount of powdered sugar.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 26

Can you pipe with this stuff?....Roses ?

lsawyer Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 26

I didn't pipe roses, just shell borders, but it was stiff enough. I think it would have held up well with roses. Make a small batch and play with it. Also, PM the person who submitted the recipe; I'm sure she'll be able to answer all your questions.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #15 of 26

I can always taste meringue powder in anything I use it in so I hate the stuff. I use pasteurized egg whites in the carton for my IMBC and never have any problems, with anyone getting sick or consistency issues with the icing. You can pipe roses with it, I add a little Crisco to the IMBC and make sure you work fast with it or keep the bag cool. You can use two bags, one kept cool in the fridge and switch them as you need them.

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #16 of 26

I thought the process of cooking the sugar and the egg whites over the double boiler till 140 or 160 (depending on the recipe) degrees pasteurized the eggs.

I have seen and read in a few places that the first step of this style icing was two fold. To dissolve the sugar crystals and to pasteurize the eggs. I think from Alton Brown on Good Eats and also on that 1 2 3 SMBC video on You Tube. Not that they are the final say or anything...

Is this incorrect? icon_confused.gif

lsawyer Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:48am
post #17 of 26

You can pasteruize your own eggs. Bring the eggs to room temp, then place in 142 degree F water for 3-1/2 minutes; 5 minutes for extra large eggs. Then put the eggs back in the fridge until ready to use. Cold eggs are easier to separate, too.

More egg info: (scroll to bottom of page)

http://www.melindalee.com/hardboileggs.html

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:52am
post #18 of 26

Hello! IMBC works great with the carton egg whites, but meringue powder has too many extra ingredients. You may want to try using Coloflo, which is only eggs whites and sodium lauryl sulfate...Wilton Colorflo works well, as well as CK dried egg whites. (Colorflo is easier to find). You use like two tbsp of the egg whites and three tbsp of water then scoop out two tbsp of the mix and that equals one egg white. I've done it before and it worked pretty well.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:52am
post #19 of 26

The only reason to make IMBC is because it TASTES so much better than powdered sugar frosting. Why would you even bother if you're just going to use crap ingredients?

Making IMBC heats the egg whites to a safe tempurature. If you're feeling particularly cautious, use pasturized egg whites. Meringue powder is just nasty. We only ever use it for cake dummy decorating.

momshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momshobby Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:22am
post #20 of 26

Shill - Swiss Meringue is made by heating the eggs over the water with the sugar. IMBC is made by bringing the sugar and water to a certain temperature, and then slowly pouring the softball mixture into peaked egg whites. Both add butter at the end.

I think there are lots of references from much more experienced people than me on this site. IMBC can be used to pipe flowers (as per the Whimsical Bakehouse Book), but the swiss is a much softer, (but still yummy) icing.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:05am
post #21 of 26

I wouldn't think you can use M powder. You wouldn't have the volume you get from the egg whites. I'm almost thinking it would be soupy. Not sure though.

Mike

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #22 of 26

I haven't ever made the IMBC. So that has a fluffy texture like the Swiss but is more stiff so it is better for piping? If it is better for the "decorating" I'd like to try it. I LOVE the flavor of the SMBC but it is so soft that it is really difficult to decorate with. I have seen cakes where people do the whole cake in IMBC or SMBC with flowers and all and for the life of me couldn't figure out how they got it stiff enough to accomplish that.

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Hello! IMBC works great with the carton egg whites, but meringue powder has too many extra ingredients. You may want to try using Coloflo, which is only eggs whites and sodium lauryl sulfate...Wilton Colorflo works well, as well as CK dried egg whites. (Colorflo is easier to find). You use like two tbsp of the egg whites and three tbsp of water then scoop out two tbsp of the mix and that equals one egg white. I've done it before and it worked pretty well.

Just as a side note... sodium lauryl sulfate is the same chmical that makes your shampoo foam and strips the grease from your hair. I would go with the pasturized egg whites but thats just my personal opinion.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #24 of 26

Yes, probably true about the shampoo. It says on the CK whites it is a whipping aid. It may be in other cake products used for whipped icing, not sure though. THanks for the heads up!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:49pm
post #25 of 26

IMBC is one of my favorite frostings and we do it with plain old egg whites. I've used it many, many times and no one has ever gotten ill from it. I know there is the possibility but we don't sweat it. (Heck, I could get bit by a mosquito and get West Nile just walking out my front door!) icon_biggrin.gif

I've never tried the meringue powder in it but since I don't like the taste I'm sure a whole batch of frosting made with it wouldn't be to my liking. I do believe I've read that the sugar acts as a preservative but I don't remember exactly so I can't site any articles.

I guess I was no help at all!

Lindakbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindakbh Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #26 of 26

I make SMBC and used to cook the whites to 160 degrees first, but got tired of standing at the stove beating them. Iâve switched to using meringue powder, and everyone loves it. They beat up stiffly, and itâs a lot easier for me. I use a blender in the process, but you could probably use a food processor instead. Hereâs my recipe for 6 cups of icing:

4 Tablespoons meringue powder
¾ cup very hot water
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ pound (6 sticks) butter
2 tablespoons vanilla (or vanilla powder for a whiter icing)

Briefly rinse all utensils and blender/beater bowls in hot vinegar water to eliminate any residual grease. Set butter out to soften slightly (don't take it out until you are ready to start the recipe).

Blend sugar for about 20 seconds to make it finer. Pour in hot water and blend until sugar is completely dissolved. Add meringue powder and vanilla powder (if using) and immediately blend until thoroughly mixed.

Pour meringue mixture into beater bowl and beat with wire beater until stiff peaks form. Change to the flat beater and beat in butter one tablespoon at a time, at a medium to low setting. First the mixture will turn soupy then it will look curdled and then it will turn creamy. When it begins to turn creamy, turn mixer to lowest setting and add vanilla and beat until smooth.

If the mixture remains soupy, put it in the refrigerator for awhile, stirring occasionally, until it firms up a bit and then continue to beat. It will eventually come together.

Good luck!
Linda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%