Baking Large Cakes (Outside Gets Overdone)

Decorating By CheadleChick Updated 7 May 2008 , 9:38pm by CheadleChick

CheadleChick Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 12

I'm new to making fancy cakes of any kind. My friend has asked me to make her wedding cake this summer. I've started doing some "trial bakes" and have found that I'm having real issues with the bigger cake pans, the outside of the cake gets really overdone (not burnt just really brown) while the middle takes forever to bake.
What can I do? I know there's something that I don't know that'll fix this problem I just have no idea what it is! LOL

11 replies
marthajo1 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 12

2 things.

Turn down the oven (325)
&
Put something in the middle... a heating core or a flower nail.

GL & HTH

marthajo1 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 12

Oh one more....

Use those bake even strips.

CheadleChick Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

2 things.

Turn down the oven (325)
&
Put something in the middle... a heating core or a flower nail.

That definitely helps thanks! Two more quick questions, what is a heating core/flower nail? And where can I get one? Thanks!

missymayflower Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 12

Use a heating core for any pan bigger than 10 inches. They are available anywhere that sells cake decorating supplies. A heating core is like a metal cone that is in contact with the bottom of the pan, so it conducts heat into the batter in the middle of your pan, helping your cake to bake more evenly. If you can't find a heating core, you can put a flower nail upside down in your pan before you pour in the batter. It does the same thing. Also, Bake-even strips can help as well. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 12

a flower nail is that little tool you use to make a buttercream rose. I use them on any cake that is bigger than 8". I put them under the parchment paper that I line my pans with so it pokes through the paper and this way it just pops right out when I peel off the paper. icon_smile.gif

missymayflower Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 12

A flower nail is a device that looks like a big nail, and it is used in making flowers out of icing, especially roses. If you go to the Wilton website, you can search for heating core and/or flower nail to see what they look like.

BARBARAJEAN Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 12

First of all set your oven at 325 for your baking. Then use either a flower nail or a baking core in the middle of the cake to help to keep the heat even. If you have baking strips, wet them and put them on the outside of the cake. You may even need more than one flower nail if it is a huge cake.

I think this is your first post. Welcome

jennifer7777 Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 12

I highyly recommend baking at 325, not 350. I usually bake at 350 for cookies and cupcakes. It'll take a little longer for the cake to bake at 325, but it produces a slower more even bake, and I don't even use heating cores.

feliciangel Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 12

I've cut a clean kitchen towel into strips and made my own baking strips, just wet them and squeezed them so they were wet but not dripping wet and used a straight pin to put them on. It worked very well.

I seen it on a online video, HTH.

leah_s Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:26pm
post #11 of 12

On really big cakes (14" and up) I bake at 300. I've never in 40+ years of baking used a heating core or flower nail. But if it works for you, go for it.

CheadleChick Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 12

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks you guys are awesome! I'll try turning down the oven and perhaps a flower nail.

And yes indeed this is my first post! Thanks! (I'm sure in the coming months there will be A LOT more!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%