Wire Question

Decorating By deetmar Updated 9 May 2008 , 3:33am by ForNikoandAnna

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 5

I have a client that wants me to put the wire with the balls on the end on her graduation cake. What gague wire do you use and how do you get them to stay in the cake? Are the ball just fondant or gumpast rolled into a ball?

I bought flower sticks and thought to try that.

Thanks for the help!

4 replies
candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 5

I just saw on Ace of Cakes that they bought the wire coiled. So all you have to do is cut each coil in half and it will have the perfect shape. I tried with florist wire before but could never bend the wire nice. Hope that helps a little. As for the gauge, I would just go and see which one felt sturdy.

deetmar Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 5

Anybody else have any ideas?

deetmar Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 5

Do you stick the wire right into the cake, or do you put it in a flower stick? I am getting nervous, This cake is due tomorrow!

She wants the little balls on the end of the wire. I was going to use gumpaste for that, or could I use fondant balls?

ForNikoandAnna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ForNikoandAnna Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #5 of 5

I used 18 gage floral wire and attached my stars to the wire with gum paste. I got some great advice from someone here about hooking the end of the wire that attached to your decoration before gum pasting it together because my stars would twirl around the wire.

I used coffee stirrers on the ends of the wire that go into the cake. Worked great with no leaning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%