Flip Flop Cakes

Decorating By mconnery Updated 21 Jun 2006 , 7:00pm by tcturtleshell

mconnery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconnery Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 6

We just got an invitation to a Labor Day luau and I think I would like to make a flip flop cake. I see a lot of great ideas in the photos, but I am wondering what size cake people generally start with to carve the shapes out of. Are they two 13 x 9 cakes carved?

Any other tips are really appreciated.

Thanks!

Melinda

5 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 6

It would probably depend on the size base cake you'd want to use. Really they could be carved whatever size you wanted them to be. I've read where some have use their child's flip flop and traced it out on paper to use as a pattern.. I'd trace out the size I wanted and put it on the pan to see if I could cut 2 out of the 13" x 9" pan you referred to.

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 6

You also can do a buttercream transfer of flip flops and put them on whatever size cake or cupcake cake you need for the party. I have done several and they are pretty easy to do. I like this method because it is easier in my opinion and there isn't any wasted cake.

Have fun!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 6

I made flip flops out of fondant and put on a cake. It's in my photos.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 3:13am
post #5 of 6

Hi,
I use a 9x13 rectangle pan then carve out the flip flops from a paper pattern that I made from my real flip flop. ( size 9 shoe) You can fit two on that size cake.

KimAZ

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Jun 2006 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 6

Hey, I've got a new question about the flip flop cakes...

Do you use 2 layers on each flip flop or do you just use 1? I've already baked 1 layer for each flip flop but was looking at the photos & can't tell if the people who did the cakes used 1 layer or 2 layers. It was really easy so far but I think it will be hard to stack another layer on top. I'm afraid they might not match so well.

Thanks alot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%