Apricot Filling?

Decorating By TxBitty Updated 9 May 2008 , 4:58am by FrostinGal

TxBitty Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make a Mother's Day Cake for my mother-in-law, and she LOVES Apricot. Is there a really good recipe anyone has for a filling for a basic yellow cake? Or do y'all just use Apricot preserves/jelly? I looked through the recipe section, but only saw a recipe for Apricot Filling for Sponge Cake...?

TIA!

6 replies
MessiET Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 7

I think you can buy the pastry filling sleeves in Apricot flavor. I have never tried that flavor, but that might be an option for you...

Petit-four Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 7

Here's an apricot filling (you can omit the rum or brandy). I love it with a yellow cake.

Brandied or Rum Apricot Walnut Filling: makes 3 cups
o 1/3 cup butter plus 1 T
o 1/3 cup brown sugar
o 12 oz apricot preserves
o ¼ cup brandy or rum
o 2 cups chopped walnuts
o ½ T gelatin in 2 T cold water

⢠Toast walnuts with 1 T of butter
⢠Sprinkle gelatin over cold water
⢠Melt, and bring butter and brown sugar to simmer.
⢠Blend in preserves, brandy (or rum), and walnuts. Cool slightly, and blend in gelatin.
⢠Refrigerate to set.

Hope this helps... icon_smile.gif

TxBitty Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:51am
post #4 of 7

Mmmmm...that sounds delicious! Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Do you think it would taste fine with just a buttercream frosting? Or should I add something (flavor-wise) to enhance the flavor of the apricot filling?

Petit-four Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #5 of 7

You're welcome. Maybe add a little rum to the BC to enhance it? If it's for kids, maybe add a little apricot juice?

But really, I've made it with just BC, and it seems pretty good (if I may say so myself). icon_rolleyes.gif

Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

crystalina1977 Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 7

what about using the apricot nectar in the cake and icing? You could make a filling out of it too, and mabe add chopped apricots (even dried would work)

FrostinGal Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 7

Apricot jam or apricots cooked with sugar and thickened with cornstarch and cooled thoroughly can be folded into Swiss Meringue Buttercream for a tasty filling.
I'm going to HAVE to try that apricot walnut filling! Bet it would be good baked on top of coffee cake! Yum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%