Gumpaste Way To Sticky

Decorating By jen2184 Updated 7 May 2008 , 8:07pm by icer101

jen2184 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen2184 Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone the other day i found a bucket of gumpaste lying around in my closet i think its been there for less than a year, i popped it open and tried to make some designs with it but its so sticky that chunks of it sticks to my hands its unmanageable. i dont really do alot with gumpaste mostly with fondant does anyone know why this happens? could it be old?

3 replies
stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 4

If it is just sticky, you may be able to salvage it by kneading in a 50/50 powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture. That's what I do and it works great. However, if it is oozy and slimey, just toss it.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 4

ditto what stlouiscake said. When you're not using it, try keeping it stored in the freezer to extend it's shelf life. I have been told in the fridge most gumpastes will last a few months, but in the freezer it will/could last indefinitely. Sometimes it will take me an entire year to go through a batch, but as long as it's in the freezer I have never had problems

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 4

yes, add a little powder sugar or cornstarch, or these two mixed . be sure you have your hands lightly greased with crisco. if it is really bad, then throw it away... i do freeze mine for a long time. i take it out of container. or if make it from scratch, i take small pieces and knead it really well, then wrap in saran wrap.... then put these individual ones in a freezer bag and freeze. take out what i need each time. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%