What To Charge?my First Wedding Cake...

Business By SaraW Updated 7 May 2008 , 7:17pm by lilyanddayne

SaraW Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 4

I am completely at a loss. After making a cake for a baby shower at my Dh's work I was contacted to make a wedding cake.

She needs 150 servings and a cake basically like the one posted below with only 4 towers on the corners. She also wants purple flowers on the vines.

I am planning a 3 layer (white cake with chocolate in between) filled with raspberry filling and chocolate ganache. The icing will probably be buttercream with gumpaste/mmf accents.

I just have no idea what to charge. Sorry for all of the unorganized info, I am just lost.

I would be thankful for any help!

3 replies
ccr03 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

I would do a per serving. Use the Alice's price matrix to figure out a base price and go from there.

FromScratch Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 4

For 150 servings I would do a 14" square for 95 servings and a 10" square for 50 servings. icon_smile.gif That's as close as you will get without going over.

As for what to charge.. it will really depend on your area, but I wouldn't do it for less that $3.50/serving in buttercream.. castles are more work than they look. If it were me I'd insist on fondant and charge $6/serving, but that's me. icon_wink.gif Call around to other custome cake places in your area and ask about their price ranges.

lilyanddayne Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 4

Where are you located? Prices are all different in different cities. Call around and ask what they charge. Act like you want one not like you're shopping them! It looks like alot of fondant work to me and I would charge a fondant cake price per serving. You will have to make alot of fondant pieces to put together so don't underestimate what your time is worth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%