Indecicive Customer

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 7 May 2008 , 8:23pm by iamlis

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 22

I have a lady who's husband's birthday is on Saturday and she wants a cake. She doesn't know how many people are going to be there but if she needs more servings she says she will just make some cupcakes to go with the cake I make her. I have done over 14 pricing requests for her and then this is how it went. She wants a corset cake, then a 2 tiered fondant cake, then states that her hubby is really into boobs and beer. I suggest a beer mnug, or boobs in a bra type cake and she is still not happy. Then she says that she likes a coffee theme. I sketch pout a few more drawings and get them to her but they aren't really "him". Then she says that he is a policeman and wants something around that theme. I do up several sketches for her and none of those work for her either. The she wants the Debbie Brown cake with the dad sleeping on the couch.... How much is that? I give her my price and then she wants to know how much if I just make cupcakes for her. I price that out for her and now she sent me an email this morning telling me that her hubby is really into exercise. Could I do up a few sketches and send them to her with pricing. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I have a huge corset cake due Friday, 2 torn disks in my back and 3 kids running around my house like a bunch of crazy monkeys. My hubby is here to help me ( bless his heart ) but is it just me or is she being unreasonable? I've put a lot of time and effort into her and stillhave no orsder. I'm at the point where I just don't feel it's worth it now. What should I do?
Should I do up some exercise cake sketches and quotes for her?

Sorry this is so long.

Lisa

21 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 22

Hi Lisa, I know excatley how you feel. Something similar happend to me too. A person wanted me to make a cake for his son's first b'day and asked me whether i can give some ideas.So I went to the internet, found some pictures and mailed them to him and at the end I didn't get the order and I didn't get paid for the hours I spent in front of the computer. I learnt a lesson from that, and I don't let my hard work go for nothing.

I think you should have got a deposit in first place. And I think you should quaote a bit more ( I really don't know how much excatley you should charge), for the sketches you did for her.

I hope everything goes well for you. thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 22

Oh, he** to the NO!!!

Now way would I waste my time and energy doing any more work on this cake. Then, when it's all done she will end up ordering the cheapest cupcakes you offer. I would advise her that at this point, you have other orders to take care of an cannot keep doing additional sketches for her.

If she wants to order, she needs to submit it by the end of the day (or whatever) because you only take a certain amount of cakes per weekend and you are filling up. I would also be sure to get a deposit - she sounds like a last minute flaker. And be prepared for complaints, regardless how delicious and stunning your cake is....because she sounds like a complainer too.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 22

I agree, if she asks why you didn't charge her for the sketches before just say that you do initial sketches for customers for free but there after charge $X for each lot sent and that you were being accomadating, but now you really have to charge her for more sketches.

If you ask me she's taking the p, although I've never sold cakes, in my experience people that ask this much and dither too long don't buy, so cut your losses and charge for your time! thumbs_up.gif

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 22

I would email her and tell her that you have to know exactly what she wants by such and such time and day if she wants you to do the cake, especially this late in the game! Then tell her also that because of time contraints, you cannot do anymore sketches, but she is more than welcome to send you a sketch.

lmn4881 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 22

Thanks everyone. I just kept thinking if I didn't do it then i wasn't being very professional. - You know the customer is always right!! I can't wait to hear what she says.....

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 22

Oh no no! Don't think that way! You have been very professional - she is the one being unprofessional. Maybe she is one of those people who thinks that you can pull a cake out of a hat at the last minute. lol

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 22

See I'm wondering if maybe she's taking these sketches to someone else?

If you want to give her another chance - maybe tell her to do soem internet searches find waht she's looking for and send that to you - but of course by XX date so you have plenty of time to quote, confirm and make it.

That or just tellher that someone else has booked iwth you and now you won't be able to accomodate her cake. GL

lmn4881 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 22

Does any one have a ball park price that would be reasonable for doing the extra sketches? I've never charged for it before and I'm not sure what is right. Thanks.

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 22

I agree w/ sun11598....my first reaction as I was reading the original post is that she is just scamming you for sketches. Those are a lot of different themes going on there. Good luck!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 22

Price it out for your time, tell her proliminary sketches run between $25-50.00 EVERYTIME she cahnges her mind..your her baker, not her sister. She can't lead you down one hill, then up another slope! Tell her she has by this time xxicon_mad.gifx to decide exactly what she wants as you are simply out of time icon_smile.gif Thats just nuts! No more theme changes for goodness sakes, I would hope she just does the stinking cupcakes herself and sees the time involved!

Grettel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grettel Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 22

It seems to me too that someone is trying to steal your ideas.

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:01pm
post #13 of 22

I'd tell her to find a picture of what she wants. If she can't, I would end it all! You've wasted too much time with her. This may end up being for 10 people!

Loose her!

JMHO

Lu

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 22

Ditto, ditto, and ditto...don't be used by this gal!!

She's probably not even married! hahahahaha

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

You took the words right outta my mouth. Some people are very slimy like that. Stop her behind before she gets too far.

I was going to ask if you let her keep the sketches? mmm. sounds fishy.....you might want to investigate and forget about making the cake. She sounds really iffy to me. Good luck, though. I hope everything works out. icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun11598

I agree!!!!!! Don't do anymore and simply tell her that you are booked up since it took her so long to decide. End of story.

I highly think she's either using these sketches for herself or taking them elsewhere.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #17 of 22

I had a similar situation, and after basically jumping through hoops for her with 30+ emails, and at least 15 sketches....she then tried to bargain with my final price! At this point I would either dump her, tell her you have another order that booked, and you are unable to do anymore. Or I agree with the others tell her to find what she WANTS and give it to you. These people think that your time isn't valuable, or that you are only here for them! CRAZY I know the customer I had when she finally came to pick up her cake, said oh its nice..,..I wanted to deck her! I spent so much blood, sweat, and tears on it!!! I would get rid of her while you still can, because there will never be any pleasing her trust me! Good Luck!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun11598

That was the first thing I thought. Maybe she's a decorator herself trying to price/sketch out her cakes through you. either way seems kinda fishy icon_confused.gif

lmn4881 Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #19 of 22

I've done a lot of quotes lately and my hubby pointed out that this is the same woman who is a bridal consultant and wanted me to give her cake decorating lessons.......

I feel so stupid for not catchingon to her sooner..... icon_cry.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:31pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmn4881

I've done a lot of quotes lately and my hubby pointed out that this is the same woman who is a bridal consultant and wanted me to give her cake decorating lessons.......

Don't feel so bad! Most of us are honest people who would never think of doing this to people. It just goes to show you what kind of a woman SHE is!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:18pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmn4881

I had this âcustomerâ a couple of months asking all kind of questions about my prices, designs, etcâ¦she actually called me at my direct line at work!!! (I have a full time job in an office).
I was so shocked a âcustomerâ called me at that number (almost nobody has this number, Iâm still trying to figure out how she got it), I quickly told her I was busy at that moment and I would call her back laterâ¦

And guess what??? When I called back I got the answering machine: âthank you for calling Sweet @#$$ by L. Sâ â¦it was the COMPETITION!!!.

I donât mind giving out some info about my business, but pretending to be a customer (???!!!) thatâs just plain low.
I was so madâ¦I would smack her!!! Stupid B#$%H.

Sorryâ¦but every time I remember thatâ¦AGRRR!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #22 of 22

I am going to beat this woman up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%