Tips On Gift Box Lid Please Help

Decorating By jjmoore Updated 18 Jun 2008 , 2:55am by staceyboots

jjmoore Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a stacked gift cake, a sheet cake with a small square on top, both are going to be gift boxes. I want the cake to be buttercream but I think it will be easier to make the box lids out of fondant. Can I get some tips on how to apply? How to measure out the size of the fondant? Any tips are appreciated, thanks

5 replies
sugarshack Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 6

here is how I do mine:

The box tops were made using 5 separate panels. I rolled out the fondant (with Tylose added) on a highly cornstarch dusted plywood and cut the pieces to rough size the day before. I let them dry out on the plywood for 48 hours. The day when I was doing the cake; I covered the square cakes with fondant the regular way. Then I took the dry, firm ( but still fragile) panels I had cut and trimmed them with my exacto knife to fit the exact size I needed to fit the cake tops. I attached them with dabs of melted candy melts. The corners were boosted up (under the top panel) with little gobs of fondant, since square fondant covered
cakes tend to round down and sag just a little). After I was done, any little gaps in the lids I spackled with matching BC.

sugarcheryl Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 6

Thanks and Sharon I will get the dvd on fondant. I love your work you are an inspiration to me.

icer101 Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #5 of 6

sharon, are you saying that the top of your square cake is cut out of fondant and your 4 side peices... i looked on your site at the blue ones... how high do you make your boxes.... so if your cake is 8"x3" square..... you cut a peice of fondant 8"x8" for the top and then your 4 side peices? i,m some dumb.... but not plumb dumb!... ha!

staceyboots Posted 18 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #6 of 6

thanks, sharon!!

i always wanted to know how those panels were made!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%