Ragged Edges On Buttercream Roses?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 8 May 2008 , 12:00pm by SeriousCakes

LoriMc Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 11

Sometimes I have this problem with roses, and sometimes I don't. Seems like the #104 tip gives me the most trouble. What's the trick to get rid of ragged edges on roses?

10 replies
Katied75 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 11

I was having that problem using Wilton's buttercream recipe, no matter what consistancy I made it. I changed to a smoother recipe and the edges are much better.

I like my recipe okay, but it involves a lot of butter and can be soft and doesn't crust. I'm still on the hunt for a great recipe that is smooth coming out and crusts.

I've been told adding corn syrup to the Wilton recipe can really help as well.

Katie

vteventrider Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 11

The BC I use that is soft, but crusts and is really smooth is a slight adaptation on Sugarshacks recipe and it always works great!

1 1/4 cup salted butter
1 1/4 cup unsalted butter (can be all unsalted if you want, but I think the salted makes it more buttery tasting)
2 1/2 cup shortening (I use Sweetex)
5 lbs powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons extract
12 Tablespoons liquid (hot non-dairy creamer works best)

SeriousCakes Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 11

I'll offer up mine too icon_biggrin.gif

LoriMc Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 11

I've thought about trying a different buttercream recipe, but then everybody that buys cakes from me has told not to change a thing. I am doing a 1:1 ratio of butter and shortening. I think I will try the corn syrup and see if it helps.

I just thought it was strange that it only happens with the #104 tip.

Thanks!

terri76 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 11

Where's IndyDebi when you need her? She's always given great advice.

Well, I've had this same problem too and I've put it off to my BC being to stiff.

I would love to hear other's input on this. (hint hint) icon_wink.gif

KASCARLETT Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 11

From my experience, it was always because the bc was too stiff. And I use the Wilton buttercream recipe most of the time.

LoriMc Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 11

I added corn syrup to the portion of the icing I was using for petals and they turned out great with a #104 tip!

Katied75 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the recipes everybody!

hellie0h Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:18am
post #10 of 11

Serious_Cakes, thanks for the links to your video. I am impressed how you pipe your roses right onto the cake. When I use the flower lifter to remove rose from nail, the roses are so soft they just plop and look like crap. It was a pleasure to watch you work.

SeriousCakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 11

That was always my problem too, my roses would look great until I tried to move them. Even when my bc was stiff enough I stll made a mess of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%