European Buttercream

Baking By Ladivacrj Updated 13 May 2008 , 6:56pm by Ladivacrj

Ladivacrj Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 6

Just found a European Buttercream recipe made with egg yolks is this right? and if so, has anyone tried it?

http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Frostings/European%20Buttercream.htm

Just curious about how it turned out and the flavor.

ladiva

5 replies
mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #2 of 6

Yep, European buttercreams usually have either egg whites or yolks in them. I've never made this recipe so I don't know if it would work right or not. Sorry, I wasn't much help.

playingwithsugar Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

That recipe is commonly known as French Buttercream. I do not use this recipe, as I am hesitant, due to salmonella, but I have heard other decorators say that it is very, very rich in texture, even as compared to Swiss or Italian Meringue Buttercreams, which, like French Buttercream, are also loaded with butter.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

icer101 Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 6

i have made what they call french buttercream.... the recipe i used, was the water and sugar cooked at a certain temp. .... then pour over the beaten egg yolks.... beat that 15-20- minutes.... then add your butter little at the time until it is incorporated good. then i added melted chocolate..... so delicious.... the hot mixture cooks the beaten eggs or beaten whites..... this is to prevent salmonella...... italian meringue buttercream and swiss meringue buttercream also. that is what i am told. i have made all three.... so delicious

alanahodgson Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #5 of 6

I've not made this exact recipe, but I have made an egg yolk buttercream and truely, it's the best tasting buttercream I've tried. It is smooth and rich. The only downfalls are that it softens quite quickly and that it is yellow. Under fondant it's terrific because its not too sweet and the color does not matter.

Ladivacrj Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry I'm just getting back to the post but I did not get an email.

I really want to try it, glad that someone has made it before so at least I know what to expect. I guess I will have to make a cake to try it.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%