Critique - Need Guidance!!!!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 4:26am by sillywabbitz

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:38am
post #1 of 5

Okay... so I love decorating so much that I want more experience so I can learn more techniques so that maybe one day I can have my own little dream come true of owning my own business, doing something I love, and being successful at it!

I'm only 2 months into decorating so obviously I'm not ready to jump into owning my own business just yet. I've been taking the Wilton classes so I've learned a lot. But I also know that there is WAY more to learn that what Wilton teaches. I can't afford to go to a culinary school so the next best thing is a job in a bakery.

I found a local bake shop named Ann's Cake Pan that is about 15 minutes from me and they have won several awards and been in a few magazines. I figure it's worth a shot. icon_smile.gif

Please read the letter below and tell me what changes you would make to it if you would make any. I'm e-mailing them before I show up in the shop! That way they can look at my work before they have to talk to me.

If this doesn't work, I'll try another bakery. But I really want to learn from the best. Thanks so much guys!!!!

Hi Ann, Bill, John, and Lisa,

I'm a novice cake decorator. I started taking classes on March 1st. I'd never successfully iced a cake or picked up a piping bag prior to starting my classes and I absolutely love it! I've also got a knack for it and have been told by several I need to take up cake decorating and baking as a vocation. Which 2 months into the learning process seems somewhat premature to me. I'd really love to spend some time in a bakery and learn from those who really know what they are doing.

I know that nobody wants a novice in their shop taking up time and distracting them from the job at hand. Especially when there are orders to fill. But I also know that many people understand that the best way to learn is by doing and also that it can be a great benefit "IF" you happen to find someone that does "get it".

I'm attaching some photos of my work. Please review my cakes and let me know if you might be interested in letting me observe and at your discretion do some decorating. If you wanted me to do anything in the shop to help out and also grow my skills, my husband and I agreed that I would gladly give you 2 weeks of my time for free. At the end... You decide if I'm worth anything or not as a paid decorator. I can't give full time as I'd be in your way too much and I have a 3 and 5 year old. But maybe we could work out a schedule that benefits both of us.

I have taken Wilton Course 1 as well as Fondant and Gum Paste. I'm currently taking Wilton Course 2. I do have plans to complete the Wilton series.

Thanks so much for reading. If you want to meet me first which I'm sure you do, please e-mail back or give me a call and let me know what time works best for you. I look forward to your response.

4 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but I'd pitch that whole letter it's too wordy and people don't care they just want to know what you can do for them. You are really looking at an internship so I would put together something simplier like:

My name is __________ and I'd really love to spend some time in a bakery and learn about the baking industry from experts in the field. I would be very interested in a part time "three" month internship with a modest stipend. I have attached photographs of my current work and will contact you on____________ to discuss possible opportunities.

Sincerely,

HTH

P.S. Remember you will be washing lots of pans, but it will be a great education & don't be afraid of that big boy Hobart mixer either!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 5

Thank You! I went ahead with your suggestion but instead of "3 month" I put short term.

And you weren't being disrespectful. I asked because I needed to know and I appreciate your honest critique icon_smile.gif

labarradulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labarradulce Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 3:55am
post #4 of 5

I`ve just look at your Facebook page and I guess you did get the internship icon_smile.gif
I´m self taught and been decorating for almost a year and in my country cake decorating classes are way too expensive and the "normal" priced ones teach old techniques or are not for professionals, do you know about online sites to learn new techniques??

great work BTW

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5

labarradulce,
I have no idea if she ships internationally but if you're looking for some really good cost effective training, I highly recommend the DVDs by Sharon Z. She is a wonderful teacher and having the DVDs so you can rematch them is very helpful.
I highly recommend Perfecting the Art of Buttercream, Flawless Fondant and her Boxes and Bows DVD.
All her DVDs are wonderful. You can see her stuff and order at www.sugaredproductions.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%