Super Annoyed!

Decorating By fondantfrenzy Updated 13 May 2008 , 4:43am by xstitcher

fondantfrenzy Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:34am
post #1 of 72

Ok so i guess this question goes out to those people who are obsessed with baking cakes. For those of you that do it for fun from home does your spouse get annoyed? DH just informed me that I am a bad mother because I spend too much time baking cakes and I feed them Taco Bell icon_mad.gif

So anyways..this is coming from the same person that said I needed to start doing something for myself to relax....so instead of being grateful that I am finding something at home, he is complaining !!!!!!!!!!!! Is my frustration justified ?

71 replies
jessienj Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 72

Your frustration is so justified. It's just one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. They get mad when they think you have too much free time, but then they get mad because now that your free time is occuppied, you can't be there at their beck and call.

lardbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 72

icon_lol.gif No more cake for him!

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 72

And what does he spend his time doing? Maybe he should feed them when you are busy with cakes.

fondantfrenzy Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 72

That's the funniest part, he is a lazy (_Y_). He is the one that gives my 4, 3, and 2 year old a whole Apple Fritter for breakfast. AARGH.

This is going to sound soo bazar, but when he takes a shower he never uses the same towel twice, and sometimes he takes a shower before the gym and after the gym ( icon_cool.gif ) I KNOW!!!!! And he leaves the towels on the floor wet....he also made a comment saying instead of baking cakes go do some laundary icon_mad.gif

I swear he is lucky i found cakes, becuase it is keeping my sanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deb12g Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 72

Sounds to me like he needs a wake up call. He's a big boy - he can pick up after himself, do his own laundry, and those kids happen to be his, too!

DH doesn't even try that with me any more.Matter of fact, a couple of months ago, he made the comment, "Gee, we need to clean the bathrooms."
Mind you, this is after I've taught school all day, and come home each night & work 4 - 8 hours in my shop, doing cakes and catering. I replied, " Since when do "WE" clean the bathrooms? "WE" in this house seems to always mean "ME"!" Well, before I knew it, he had the soft scrub and was cleaning those bathrooms like a pro!

lilacc01 Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 72

Don't get me started! Mine uses SO MANY TOWELS! He will use 2 after his shower and throw them on the floor. Then after he shaves or washes his face he pulls another big towel out to dry his face and he throws it on the floor as well! WTF!!!! When it is time to fold the laundry, he will go and fart around doing nothing in the kitchen to eat up time in hopes that the folding will be done by the time he gets back. Last time I asked him to help me and he said he didn't feel like it I threw it all of the bedroom floor and told him to take his stuff out of the pile as needed. Two days later he folded it all thumbs_up.gif

He has learned to hold his tongue about my baking because he sees how happy it makes me. Not to mention how happy it makes him and his family when it is time for eating it!

Have faith, they can be trained over time. Just a few days ago he put his own dish in the dishwasher!

fondantfrenzy Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 72

Do I even have the strength to hang in there? It doesnt seem that complicated to just not throw stuff on the floor.

I thought I was the only person on earth that had a husband that did that....i guess that alone is enough to keep me going.....

Thanks.....at least I am not alone.

cakesbyallison Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:18am
post #9 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

...I know something else he won't be gettin'! icon_wink.gif

JenniferMI Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:48am
post #10 of 72

Ohhhh do I remember THOSE days! When my kids were small..... that was the HARDEST part about this art. Balancing the time between everyone and the art I loved and wanted to get better at. Once the $$$ started getting more and more serious...then DH kind of realized, wow, she can actually make $$$ at this! I worked very hard then to be the good mom, wife and cake artist, but I think all that hard work is paying off in the end. It's just really difficult to juggle it all....

I hear you, been there, done that!

Jen icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #11 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyallison

Quote:

Yeah THAT crossed my mind too!

indydebi Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #12 of 72

Yeah, mine was a real A-Hole about it .... until the money start pouring in. Now he's my biggest cheerleader. What a shame, though, that the only thing they believe is "money talks" ..... no concept of enjoying doing something just for the simple enjoyment of it.

Unless you're talking about working on a car, or going to a ball game, or deer hunting, of course! icon_rolleyes.gif

ElectricCook Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #13 of 72

We have a saying at work about the "WE NEED TO" phrase. The response is "Who the hell is we? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

My DH said to me we need to wash clothes I am running out of underwear. There are 3 of us in the house (DS). This is after telling me that I should be able to wash, dry, fold and put away the laundry all in one day.

I hang them on the back of my dining room chairs and fold them as I get a chance this really bothers him. Well I didn't wash his clothes for three weeks and hid all of the towels and socks. I forgot to go to the dry cleaners also. (HA HA HA, Good for Me)

Well guess what? I told him if I wash he needs to fold and put away the clothes. He did it and thought is was a great idea. (Ya Think).

I will hide the towels and socks and not wash his clothes again if necessary. My son and I had clean clothes. I told him if he wants a housekeeper he should hire one. If he is to cheap then help out or take care of it himself.

My friends think that I am crazy. Me woman and He man crap means "Get off your A** and help or do without"

Just my rant. He tries all the time to get away with that stuff (insert your word of choice here) and I just let him hang himself.

I feel your pain.

Afarren Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:34am
post #14 of 72

You guys are cracking me up...Men are just different, they cannot multi-task(or single task for that matter),lol!
Just remember to pick your battles. icon_wink.gif

Afarren Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:37am
post #15 of 72

You guys are cracking me up...Men are just different, they cannot multi-task(or single task for that matter),lol!
Just remember to pick your battles. icon_wink.gif

chinadoll652003 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:40am
post #16 of 72

All I can say is AMEN SISTERS.

I'm right there with you!!

tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #17 of 72

I say he wants attention...he is just asking it the wrong way...I would be pissed..Then I would just ignore his ass... icon_lol.gif Men sometimes can be jerks...sorry..if I was to strong..PMS

LaurynBrook Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:45am
post #18 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyallison

Quote:

I was just thinking the SAME thing! Stand your ground girl! thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #19 of 72

...I know something else he won't be gettin'! icon_wink.gif[/quote]

BWAAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

I love you guys!!!

I took my DH's dirty underware that he left lying on the floor (6 pairs!!! UGH!!!) and put them on his pillow. He wondered why. Hmmmm... Then I did all the laundry that was IN the laundry basket. Guess who didn't get clean clothes. When he asked why I said that I do enough cleaning up after the 2 kids and he's a big boy.

sweetflowers Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #20 of 72

I remember those days. My husband was really pretty nice about it when I was too pooped from doing cakes and the kitchen was a mess, we'd eat fast food too.

Now he completely supports my cakes and...get this... wants to sell all my cakes and creations around town in addition to me working a full time job (he doesn't work at all). He thinks that's a great job for him icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Ask your hubby if he likes doing housework, if he says no, tell him you don't either!

dg10148 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:52am
post #21 of 72

My husband got laid off one time so I had to get a job to pay bills I worked a lot of overtime and still came home and cooked the meals and cleaned the house before work everyday then one day I came home the house was a mess I mean really bad I asked what happened he said he fell asleep {did I say we had a 3 year old at the time} lipstick on the walls you name it he had enough nerve to say the way you clean it wont take but a couple of hours to clean. I told him call me at my moms I wont be home until it is cleaned he called 6 hours later I never cooked or cleaned after that until he went back to work 6 mo later now we both do it.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #22 of 72

My husband loves it when I'm working on cakes. He doesn't even care if he gets to eat the cake...he has pictures of my cakes on his phone and he shows them to people wherever he goes...which is kind of weird, having him be that proud of me.

He doesn't even complain (too much) about the house being a mess...except sometimes to wonder why my kitchen is so clean and the rest of the house is not.

tonedna Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #23 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

BWAAHAHAHAHHAHAAAA!!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

I love you guys!!!

I took my DH's dirty underware that he left lying on the floor (6 pairs!!! UGH!!!) and put them on his pillow. He wondered why. Hmmmm... Then I did all the laundry that was IN the laundry basket. Guess who didn't get clean clothes. When he asked why I said that I do enough cleaning up after the 2 kids and he's a big boy.[/quote]

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Meloda Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:04am
post #24 of 72

My DH is a head football coach who has managed to make football a 24/7 52 weeks of the year career, yet whenever those rare days occur when he is thinking, breathing and eating football he wants all my attention. If I am baking/decorating he will ask how much longer is that going to take? or when are we going to have some quality time? I recently told him I have had plenty for the last 29 football seasons up in the bleachers, that sort of put a cork in him icon_rolleyes.gif He certainly enjoys the cake crumbs. He was actually upset when I started using the pan strips again because the cakes didn't need to be leveled icon_biggrin.gif he pouted because he didn't get any cake. Men go figure.

Amia Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:06am
post #25 of 72

If my FI ever said I was a bad mother, it would be the last thing he ever said! icon_evil.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

he has pictures of my cakes on his phone and he shows them to people wherever he goes...which is kind of weird, having him be that proud of me.

I thought my guy was the only one that did that!!! He's so proud of me, he's even working up a proposal for a business loan so I can have a business. I keep trying to tell him I'm not good enough for that yet, but men don't listen.

tiggy2 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:57pm
post #26 of 72

He goes to the Gym but you can't bake cakes? He's lucky he's yours and not mine. We'd be out of towels forever if he waited for me to pick them up.

DoniB Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #27 of 72

My hubby, while very proud of the work I do, has a very passive/aggressive streak. When I have a whole bunch that needs to be done on, say, Friday, that I've promised someone for friday night or saturday, he'll take Friday off. What this means is that he's under foot, in the way, and wants to do things like go out for breakfast (which normally I'm all about) or shopping (ditto), or 'let's watch ____ that we DVRed last week'. Meanwhile, I'm trying to adjust my schedule to allow for one more person cooking breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc, and of COURSE when I need my hands to be steadiest, that's when he decides to be all lovey-dovey and come breathe in my ear. Nice, but distracting! LOL It's really hard to do intricate scrollwork when your hands are shaking and your knees won't hold ya up! LOL

On the other hand, he carries a picture of our wedding cake in his wallet and has shown it to everyone he talks to (which sounds good, but he's really shy, so it's mainly the folks at work). Oh, and he loves the cake tops. icon_smile.gif

cakelady15 Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #28 of 72

My boyfriend used to complain about how much time I spent making cakes. I tried to explain to him that it was something I enjoyed doing, but he couldn't understand why I would want to spend so much time doing something that I wasn't making a ton of money on. One day he told me I should find a hobby that I can do where I can actually make some money so I told him I would when he quit his golf league because with his handicap he certainly wasn't going to become a professional golfer anytime soon. He hasn't said anything to me about making cakes since thenicon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #29 of 72

Hahahahaha, cupcake900 that's the best comeback Iv'e heard so far. That and the football bleachers one. You have to phrase things the way men see them.

My husband didn't really take my cakes seriously until one morning when I laid into him for going out running and leaving the kids with me when they were both really little and I had a cake to do for that day. Of course I got nothing done, and I gave it to him when he came ambling in. Then the day came when I told him how much money I had made after doing my taxes for the previous year, and his comment was "That's real money!" with a surprised tone to his voice. Suddenly it was a legitimate business in his mind. On the other hand, he's proud of me becasue he's always telling people to go to my website, etc etc. He's very supportive now, but he didn't take it seriously at first.

And the towel thing??? I think that's the "Y" chromosome (which stands for "Why? Why? Why do you do that stuff" in my mind) My husband is the circus seal who leaves a trail of water wherever he goes. He's gotten better, but we have our 15th anniversary tomorrow, so I've been working on him for a while. The worst is when I walk into the kitchen wearing socks and step in a big puddle that he's left behind icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

valerie01 Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #30 of 72

fondantfrenzy, you must be so nice and tolerable. If my husband ever told me I was a bad mother and to do the laundry, we'd be having a THROWDOWN!! icon_twisted.gif

Motherhood is a hard, and it's important for your sanity to have something to satisfy just you. I don't think they understand how difficult it can be sometimes. I tell my husband my job is taking care of the kids, not functioning as a maid. He's a member of the house, and we split chores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%