Buttercream Didn't Crust

Decorating By Mutterbutt Updated 7 May 2008 , 7:14pm by Mutterbutt

Mutterbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:38am
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I am practicing for my first real cake, and I am using Indydebi's buttercream recipe. It won't crust for anything, which makes it hard to use Melvira's method to smooth it (can you tell I"ve been studying? icon_lol.gif ).Anyway, I am wondering why it didn't crust. Maybe I should have used more powdered sugar. It is a little humid here but not hot, and after 2 hours you'd think it would have plenty of time to do it's thing.

Any help would be appreciated. I really want to use the buttercream smoothing techniques, and stay away from fondant for now. Thanks!

3 replies
JanH Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:51am
post #2 of 4

Hi and Welcome, Mutterbutt. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

If your b/c isn't crusting, try adding more powdered sugar (to "up" the percentage of dry ingredients).

vdrsolo Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 4

Yep....increase the powdered sugar, or decrease the shortening.

If this recipe has worked well for you in the past, decrease the amount of liquid you are adding to it since it is humid.

Mutterbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks. I think it was the powdered sugar. I didn't add the entire 2 lbs because I didn't want it to be too dry, and I should have.

I left it out all night, and I woke up this morning and it still hadn't crusted. icon_rolleyes.gif I am going to try again this weekend. This is why I am practicing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%