Decorating With Fondant?

Decorating By cfrizzy20 Updated 8 May 2008 , 4:11am by kansaswolf

cfrizzy20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfrizzy20 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:21am
post #1 of 21

I am kind of new to cake decorating . But, I have heard that the fondant turns hard on cakes after you apply it and try to cut it. What I was told was that like a wedding cake you have to remove the fondant before you slice your cake.That would look pretty ugly if you did that. Would really like to know from some cake experts out there. also is it true you can soften your fondant up with your flavors? Reason I have always done butttercream. Also green behind the ears about your abbreviations Like bc for buttercream Thats all I know. Thanks! for any help. icon_confused.gif

20 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #2 of 21

The fondant hardens a little but is not like a rock. Is edible but not a lot of people like it...Is not really a necesity to take off..People can have the choice to eat it if they want it or not..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:42am
post #3 of 21

It depends on the KIND of fondant you use too... Some kinds are softer and/or taste better than others... I made *1* cake with Wilton fondant, and everyone (but one, dare I say, VERY ODD person... icon_wink.gif ) took the fondant off their own piece, because it WAS nasty. I've since switched to a homemade cream cheese-based variety, which is quite tasty. Rarely do I see people pick it off, and usually it's those people who don't eat icing EVER.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:52am
post #4 of 21

Kansaswolf. Cream cheese based fondant?? sounds yummy... care to share???? I have been using Marshmellow fondant (MMF) and everyone seems to like it.. I think you are right Toneda, People that don't eat it usually DONT EVER EAT FROSTING anyway. But what is nice is the cake has BOTH Buttercream (bc) and Fondant so they can eat what they want. It would take quite a while for the fondant to get hard.. I have never had it happen. Cut with a sharp knife icon_smile.gif hope this helps (HTH)

LaurynBrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurynBrook Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:55am
post #5 of 21

Cream cheese based fondant?? Do you have a recipe for that? It sounds amazing and perfect for a cake I've got coming up.

kansaswolf Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:56am
post #6 of 21

I'll put my recipe up in the recipe section... icon_biggrin.gif

LaurynBrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurynBrook Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:00am
post #7 of 21

yay! Please link to it when you've done it! i'll check back!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:07am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

I'll put my recipe up in the recipe section... icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks! I can't wait to give it a try!! How is it to work with.. does it need refrigeration?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:13am
post #9 of 21

hehe..I wanna try that creamchese fondant!
icon_biggrin.gif...Maybe with a side of russian!..
icon_lol.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:18am
post #10 of 21

Also there is an acronym thread that will help you alot with things like RI, HTH, TFL, BIL, DH, etc....

I have to find it ....

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:21am
post #11 of 21

Here you go.... And no worries about trying to read the whole thing..... Just look at the front page.... it gets updated.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-2926-0.html

kansaswolf Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:23am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

hehe..I wanna try that creamchese fondant!
icon_biggrin.gif...Maybe with a side of russian!..
icon_lol.gif

BA HA HA HA HA! That made me giggle... At least I didn't wake up the kiddos! The recipe is submitted, but maybe it takes a bit to show up in searches... I will link to it when I find it! Wow, who knew there was so much interest?

I refrigerate it before I put it on the cakes, but after it's covered, I don't... I think it's been discussed before about the amount of sugar preserving it, etc... HOWEVER, I've never let one of my covered cakes sit out for more than a day... Maybe because I decorate last-minute? icon_wink.gif Couldn't hurt to refrigerate, but I don't, and have never had trouble with it... Even the dried fondant accents I sometimes use are still edible!

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:45am
post #13 of 21

cream cheese fondant sounds great
saving this thread till I find the receipe

kansaswolf Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 21

How long does it usually take for recipes to post? Hm...

Imshelliee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Imshelliee Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #15 of 21

humm... where is this recipe? I looked it up and still nothing! you're teasing us with something that sounds so good! icon_smile.gif

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:14am
post #16 of 21

I posted it, I really did! I just don't know what happened to it! Maybe it has to be approved or something? Don't know...

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #17 of 21

Well, since the recipe I submitted hasn't shown up, I'll share what I have anyway. I'll just warn you, I don't really measure! And if you've worked with fondant before, you know there's a range to the proper amount anyway, depending on the humidity and such things... Anyway... I'll give you the recipe just as I make it...

8 oz. softened Philly Cream Cheese (NOT low-fat or fat free)
2 lbs (or so) powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup cornstarch
2 tbs corn syrup
1-2 tsp clear vanilla
1-2 tsp almond flavoring (or mint, or whatever would work best with your cake)

I mix mine by hand with a STURDY spoon (Don't have a sturdy mixer, but one with a bread hook or equivalent would probably work fine), putting the cream cheese in first, and adding maybe 1 lb of powdered sugar and all the cornstarch. After that's fairly smooth, add 1/2 lb PS and the corn syrup and extracts. It will probably be rather sticky when you're done mixing. This is okay, because you're going to need to knead it by hand with some MORE powdered sugar until it's the right consistency to roll out (Thus coming to approximately 2 lbs total of PS). This is a VERY soft fondant, and prone to cracks and tearing, it's made me cry a few times... HOWEVER, the taste (both the chocolate and the regular kind) is soooo good, I'll sacrifice a bit in the way of looks to have a great taste!

By the by, to make my chocolate fondant, substitute cocoa for the cornstarch, and leave out the almond flavoring.

Roll out on powdered sugar. It took me some trial and error to "feel out" the best consistency for covering, but even the disasters were tasty... icon_biggrin.gif I use this for molding figurines, for drying 3D leaves and other things. It is paintable, but if you wait until it dries, the paint will smear, so INTRICATE detail doesn't work real well once it's dried.

Check out my cakes to see what I've done with it! Thanks for your interest! Hope this works out tastily for you! icon_lol.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #18 of 21

wow I want to say thank you for the recipe.I will try soon.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #19 of 21

I only use Satin Ice Fondant...it's very easy to work with, never turns hard at all and it tastes like the nugget inside of a salted nut roll....very tasty!!

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:46am
post #20 of 21

icon_eek.gif kansaswolf that sounds delicious!!! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for posting! thumbs_up.gif

kansaswolf Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #21 of 21

No problem! Mine tastes similar to those cream cheese mints you sometimes get at weddings... MMMMM... I could eat my weight in this fondant... Which, since I'm 6 months pregnant, is a lot... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%