Real Ribbon On Wedding Cake - Help Please

Decorating By tobycat Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:24am by tobycat

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:07am
post #1 of 7

I've only attached one real ribbon before. I do know about using wax paper behind it.

What is the best way to attach the ribbon at the end? Tape? What kind is best? Does anyone pin?

I'm doing a 3-tier square wedding cake. 12" 8" and 6".

There will be some flowers on the cake, but I'm not doing them. I will be there when they are attached though -- should I use the flowers to hide a seam?

Thanks for any help!

S.

6 replies
conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:05am
post #2 of 7

Hello Sonoma I am sorry I can't help you, but I have the sane question I don't know what type of ribbon to use on a buttercream cake or a pastry pride cake.
I hope someone can help you thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 7

I use wax paper cut to the same width as the ribbon underneath ribbons. I attach the wax paper to the cake with a dot of royal.

I attach the ends of the ribbon with royal icing. It isn't greasy and holds well. I make sure the ends of the ribbon are in back.

Conchita - It doesn't matter what type of ribbon you use. I just always measure my pans and add a couple of inches to allow for icing and overlap.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 7

I will only use edible ribbon, since I don't consider the dye and other chemicals used in/on fabric ribbon to be food safe.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

I've only done it once and I used double-sided tape and put wax paper on the back. It worked for me and my ribbon was sheer.

I used a dab of icing to hold the ribbon since you could not walk around the cake table and it couldn't be seen. But really, I don't think it was that noticable anyway.

I tried press and seal and for me it was a mess and a waste of money!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:24am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much! This eases my mind tremendously! I still think I'll give it a trial run, but it doesn't sound that bad. I like the idea of using royal at the end of it and the double sided tape.

THanks too Jan for the links! You're invaluable with those!

icon_smile.gif S.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%