Skateboard, Trucks, And Wheels, Oh My...

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 12 May 2008 , 1:33am by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 15

... To mention that the birthday boy wants the cake to look like his board.

This is one of those cakes in theory I can figure out how to do it, mostly, but you wonder while doing research if you can really pull it off.

This cake is for a family friend, so she will be forgiving it it isn't perfect, but I want to do it pretty close to realistic. I have an email out to her right now if she wants the agreed upon upside down skate board life size or not. If she does I have an idea of how to do it using a 11x15 and still have a little extra cake left over. He dad is delievering the cake, about an hour to her, so I have to see if he has the room for a large cake.

The wheels I'm pretty sure I can do, but the trucks scare me. icon_smile.gif I'm just gonna pull out some fondant and gumpaste and start playing with it to see what I can do.

The other hard part is replicating the design of his board, with a change. He wants this board: http://shop.ccs.com/item.do?itemID=19422&siteID=bZ5MjLBli7c-xd6TnBHai01T38KZf8M55Q#

Instead of the Koston, he wants his nick name in the same style of writing. That part worried me, but I think I have it figured out. The nick name is Moo-Cow. I'm going to use the o's and n from the orginal works, and try to work the n into a m then a w. For the c I'll try to use part of the o. It should be close enough, I hope.

I haven't decided how I am going to do all of the design on the cake yet. I do have an airbrush but usually only use it to cover the whole cake or use a stencil. So I'm not sure if I want to do a stencil for the design or if I want to try to paint it, or do it some other way. I only have small freezer (side by side fridge) so I couldn't do the whole thing (espcially if the cake ends up being 31" long) and I'm not sure if I'd be able to piece FBCTs together.

Does anyone have a thought for how to do all those red dots???

I just kinda needed to talk the cake out with someone, and thought maybe someone would have some ideas for me. Who here has done a skate board cake? Any helpful hints?

Please and thanks!

14 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 15

If I was doing it I would fondant the whole cake, white as a base and cut out the detail out of coloured fondant (think it would be the neatest way icon_smile.gif ) and for the dots I'd fashion a stamp out of something (end of a fondant tool or pen?) and stamp them in with red gel colour.
The writting is the trickiest bit but at least you have 3 letters the same! icon_biggrin.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:07am
post #3 of 15

I've been asked to do a skateboard cake in June so I am curious about about how you are planning to do the wheels for yours - would you mind sharing your plan?

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 15

I just did a skateboard cake for my niece's birthday. It obviously wasn't as in depth as the one you are doing, but it was much easier than I thought. Mine was buttercream, with royal icing transfers for the decals and writing. For me the hardest part was the wheels. I covered them in fondant and could NOT get them to look smooth!
LL

TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 15

LoriMc, cute cake. What did you use for your wheels?

I made mine today out of Gumpaste, but I don't think they are going to be dry in time. Tonight I am going to have to work out a back up plan I think.

vonnie99, I used Wilton's new Flower molds to help make my wheels. After I get this cake done, I'll sit down with the camera and take a few pictures for ya. icon_smile.gif I'm using a plastic dowel and a wooden dowel for the trucks, so I would have good support.

Shola, I'm not sure I'd be able to roll enough fondant out to to cover the whole cake at one time. It is going to be 31in long! I am considering doing a piece of fondant just over the top, instead of the bottom and just painting directly on it.

I remembered and was able to find that I had the dot making mats. I think right now I will use one of them to mark the dots so I have guidelines to do the red dots. It will leave some dimples, but I think it will be easier that way.

The wheels are drying, the trucks are half made, and the cake is baked. I'm about to go cover the cake boards, cut up the cake and make icing for assemble. Wish me luck everyone!! icon_smile.gif

Shola Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #6 of 15

Woo! Thats a huge cake!
Good luck! Can't wait to see it! thumbs_up.gif

vonnie99 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:08am
post #7 of 15

OH! I'm dying to see how this cake comes out!

TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 15

Well I finally completed the cake this afternoon. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I made some stencils for the letters, but did the shadowing freehanded, as well as the rest of the design. I ended up using a q-tip to do the dots. I'm tired and ready for a nap now!! icon_smile.gif

The trucks have a plastic dowel and wooden dowel in them, but that is the only non edible part of the cake.

TexasSugar Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 15

Sorry I had to shrink the picture to post it.
LL

vonnie99 Posted 10 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 15

WOW!!! You did as fantastic job - it has a real pop-art look to it - very realistic too! Thanks so much for sharing your tips!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 15

wow! i never have guessed that you hadn't done this before! fantastic-i have a friend who wants to do his son's room skateboard style and this would be a great idea for a bday cake!!

TexasSugar Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:11am
post #12 of 15

Thank you!!

I was told that the cake looked very close to the actual skate board, and that I matched the colors of the wheels and trucks almost exactly (with out seeing his board). icon_smile.gif

Shola Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #13 of 15

Oh fantastic! Really turned out well! thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 15

Awesome job! If I had seen this post before today, I would have shared my skateboard cake. Looks like we had the same idea. thumbs_up.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1179533

TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #15 of 15

Diane, I had thought about writing you asking questions, but it was a quick order and I didn't have alot of time to plan. Plus I knew what ever I did I had to make it where it could travel an hour away.

You did a awesome job.

It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. Or maybe I started earlier on it so I didn't have to rush to get it done. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%