Please Tell Me How To Do A Drape Down A Cake Please

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 7 May 2008 , 5:28pm by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 12

I need to have a fondant drape down a graduation cake and I have NO clue how to do it.. please help me. Oh yes I forgot to add it's on a BC cake.. not fondant THANK YOU icon_smile.gif

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 12

If you need to put it on a cake that you'll be assembling on site you can cut it out in advance and cover it well with plastic wrap, then put it on a cookie sheet so that it lies flat until you need to put it on the cake. (It helps to put a little gumtex in it, not enough to make it gumpaste but enough to help it stay a little stiffer so that it doesn't stretch too much when you pick it up to put on the cake.)

Just make sure that it's long enough to fit down the side of the entire cake, unless you can do it in two pieces and overlap them halfway down. Starting at the top, place it on the cake, then just fit it to the shape of the cake as you lay it down tier by tier. It's not that hard, getting it to the reception site if you have to cut it out in advance is the most involved step.

If you can do it in advance just do the same thing, start at the top and work your way down. With buttercream just remember that you should try to "contour" the drape (I don't know if that's the right word) to the shape of the tiers. Don't drop it straight down the side of the cake or the weight of the fondant will pull itself down. If it rests on each tier it will be fine. You can fold it and drape it to make it look nice as you put it in place, have it still resting securely on each tier and it will stay in place fine.

wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much!! I was just scared that it would pull down the sides of the cakes!! You explained it perfectly icon_biggrin.gif

I will be putting this on before I deliver so that is a good thing icon_smile.gif Thank you icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 12

I've attached a picture of one that I did that had a gumpaste strip down the side (the sheet music cake), because it shows what I mean about resting the drape on each tier. If you're doing it out of fondant just make the top narrower than the bottom, so that it's wider at the bottom and you have a nice amount to drape at the base of the cake. I'll also try to attach one that was fondant, but it had flowers on it and I don't know if the file type will attach, but I'll try. In that one you can see how I've gathered the fondant at the base of the cake.

It might help to make it out of gumpaste completely, since it's easier to work with and get thin enough to drape nicely without ripping while you're putting it on the cake!
LL
LL

wgoat5 Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #5 of 12

Oh that is truly LOVELY !! I haven't ever seen notes on a drape like that!!! You should TRULY post your cakes my friend!!! Thank you for taking your time out to help me icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:15am
post #6 of 12

Thanks! I've been debating whether to post the link to my website or not, but I kind of like being incognito on here!

wgoat5 Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #7 of 12

I completely understand icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for your kindness icon_smile.gif

If you don't mind may I pm you if I have trouble?

costumeczar Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #8 of 12

Of course, but depending on what I'm doing I might not respond right away. Just be careful when you first pick the fondant up to put it on the cake, because that's when it likes to rip if it's too long!

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

If you need to put it on a cake that you'll be assembling on site you can cut it out in advance and cover it well with plastic wrap, then put it on a cookie sheet so that it lies flat until you need to put it on the cake. (It helps to put a little gumtex in it, not enough to make it gumpaste but enough to help it stay a little stiffer so that it doesn't stretch too much when you pick it up to put on the cake.)

Just make sure that it's long enough to fit down the side of the entire cake, unless you can do it in two pieces and overlap them halfway down. Starting at the top, place it on the cake, then just fit it to the shape of the cake as you lay it down tier by tier. It's not that hard, getting it to the reception site if you have to cut it out in advance is the most involved step.

If you can do it in advance just do the same thing, start at the top and work your way down. With buttercream just remember that you should try to "contour" the drape (I don't know if that's the right word) to the shape of the tiers. Don't drop it straight down the side of the cake or the weight of the fondant will pull itself down. If it rests on each tier it will be fine. You can fold it and drape it to make it look nice as you put it in place, have it still resting securely on each tier and it will stay in place fine.

do the buttercream need to dry before placing the drape fontant on the cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 12

When I have a long drape, I do like to start at the bottom. I get the end where I want it and lay it up the cake, gently pressing it to the cake as I go, then cut off any excess at the top. Works better for me. And I don't make the drape until I'm practically ready to go out the door so that it doesn't dry out and crack.

costumeczar Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 12

I start at the top because that way when (not if) it stretches while I'm putting it on the cake, I can cut the excess off at the bottom. It would work from the bottom up, I guess, but I'm just used to doing it top down.

You don't have to let the buttercream dry before putting it on, but it would make it less likely to make marks on the cake if you accidentally place it wrong. Refrigerating the cake before putting it on is a good idea too, so that the icing has a chance to firm up a little.

wgoat5 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif !!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%