Dry Cakes

Decorating By rafaella Updated 9 May 2008 , 2:39pm by rafaella

rafaella Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 7

help-help-help please icon_cry.gif
what to do so the cake won't be dry. I get complains on my cakes that they're like a cookie, dry. I bake the cakes from scratch and use washes on them too. After covering them with fondant I don't refrigerate is this the problem? or maybe more wash or filling. I am confused and about to quit making cakes, it seems like I am the only one with this problem. I baked a white buttermilk cake recently and got the same response, I was hoping the buttermilk will make it moist. During the process everything looks good and moist, I am very dissapointed.
please help

6 replies
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 7

Don't over bake, torte your layers thinner (never more than 3/4", 1/2" is best), use plenty of simple syrup, and use the chiffon method when mixing (whip whites and some of the sugar separately then fold into main batter last). Oh, and they won't last as long as mix cakes (preservatives) so you need to make them as close to consumption as reasonably possible.

rafaella Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 7

thank you very much for the help.
I don't know the chiffon method and do you have any suggestions on mix cakes which ones to use and how? I tried the mix once but wasn't satisfied with the result, it was heavy. I was told that I need to use doctored mix recipes? have no idea what this is. Sorry it might sound stupid but if you can help me I'll appreciate greatly.

Thank you.

costumeczar Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:29am
post #4 of 7

If you want to email me your recipe or post it I can see it there's anything you can tweak. You can also try a different recipe...I find that white cake recipes are tricky, and I had to mess with mine until I got it to where I thought it was good. KoryAK is probably right about overbaking, too. Take it out as soon as you can, don't wait until it's overdone. That will dry a white cake out faster than anything.

KoryAK Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:57am
post #5 of 7

Nope, no tips on mix cakes - I'm strictly scratch icon_smile.gif

adoraim Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:23am
post #6 of 7

Have you tried adding some pudding or sourcream to your mix? I usually add about 1/3 cup of sour cream to my mix and they come out nice and moist.

rafaella Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 7

no, never tried it, unless the recipe calls for it. I was affraid of the outcome. Thanks for the tip i'll try it.

Thank you all for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%