Mmf - What Went Wrong?

Decorating By Valli_War Updated 7 May 2008 , 6:29pm by Loucinda

Valli_War Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
I am very new to cake decorating. I just finished fondant and gumpaste course. I used wilton fondant for the first two classes and made MMF for the final presentation to see how it comes. I did not need all 2 pounds of confectioner's sugar and I thought it came out pretty good. It was soft compared to the wilton fondant. I had no problems covering the cake at home. But when I took the MMF out of refrigerator and took it to class, by the time I tried rolling it and cutting with different cutters, it started stretching too much and lost its shape. What went wrong? Am I not suppose to store it in refrigerator? I did not keep the cake after covering in refrigerator. Maybe condensation caused it to be watery? Please help. I am taking the third course from this week and i do not want to buy fondant. I want to make my own.

Thanks for all the replies.

6 replies
ctackett Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 7

I don't refrigerate fondant. That's what it did to me the first time. I just cover it really well with plastic wrap and then put in an airtight bowl. I don't think it is necessary to refrigerate it.

tenleysmommy Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 7

Instead of MMF why not try MFF(michele foster fondant).If you read back post about the two it seems most people prefer MFF.Its a little harder to make but easier to work with.Good luck in your class and here is a link to the recipe. icon_wink.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=486453

Valli_War Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks all. I will try the MFF and see how it feels to work.

Loucinda Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #5 of 7

The link brings up a pre-school cake - can you fix it?

Sometimes if you work too much crisco into the fondant it behaves like you are describing....but you don't say if you used that in your recipe or not. And definately do NOT refrigerate it - it will stay just fine at room temp. - just lightly cover it with crisco and double wrap it in saran wrap.

tenleysmommy Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 7

Sorry about that link,don't know what went wrong.Try this

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

Loucinda Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%