What Is The Easiest Way To Torte And Fill A 12' And Bigger

Decorating By connie1220 Updated 6 May 2008 , 8:37pm by CarolAnn

connie1220 Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hi CC'ers. I need help on how to torte and fill a 12" and bigger cake. How do you cut it in 1/2 do you use a knife or would dentle floss be better? Is it better to cut cold (frozen) or at room temperture? Also do you just slide a cake board between the layers to seperate and will it stick to the board? Sorry so many ?'s. Never made a cake larger then a 10" and I have 2 12" due this weekend. Thank you! Connie

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 7

If you have a long knife and a good eye, you can do it with a knife. Dental floss, waxed UN flavord works better.

You can use a cake circle to separate the layers, it will slide between the layers fairly easy, but it will get the board dirty. If you have a flat cookie sheet, they work best. I bought one just to use for separating layers.

connie1220 Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you.... Do you torte them cold or at room temp?

leah_s Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 7

The easiest way to torte is with an Agbay. Then lift and fill.

aswartzw Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 7

After torting (whichever method you use), I like to toss mine in the freezer to "firm up" for a few minutes before moving it. Depending on the cake, sometimes by freezing it I can just move it with my hands. Other times, I'll use cake boards or cookie sheets to slide between them.

CarolAnn Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 7

The agbay looks great but they're terrible expensive in my book! For those of us who don't do the volume of business to afford an agbay there are the "laymen's/woman's tools. Ã

Connie I have the big Wilton cake leveler. It's worked great for all my big cakes. The cutting area is around 20" wide, so you can do a pretty good size cake with it. I just level, then measure the remaining thickness and divide it in half. Adjust the leveler and gently saw back and forth to tort, then slide a cookie sheet or thin cake board in and lift the layer off. If I'm going to freeze or refrigerate the cake before filling and icing I'll wiggle a sheet of parchment paper between the layers and then either return them to the pan and cover or wrap them in plastic.

CarolAnn Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:37pm
post #7 of 7

The agbay looks great but they're terrible expensive in my book! For those of us who don't do the volume of business to afford an agbay there are the "laymen's/woman's tools. Ã

Connie I have the big Wilton cake leveler. It's worked great for all my big cakes. The cutting area is around 20" wide, so you can do a pretty good size cake with it. I just level, then measure the remaining thickness and divide it in half. Adjust the leveler and gently saw back and forth to tort, then slide a cookie sheet or thin cake board in and lift the layer off. If I'm going to freeze or refrigerate the cake before filling and icing I'll wiggle a sheet of parchment paper between the layers and then either return them to the pan and cover or wrap them in plastic.

The white plastic corregated sheet cake boards are nice for this because they're stronger, thinner than the cardboard boards, not to mention washable/reusable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%