Bleed Stain Ribbon On Wedding Cake

Decorating By Aaggie Updated 6 May 2008 , 9:59pm by KoryAK

Aaggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aaggie Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bride that wants a red ribbon around the bottom edge of each tier on her cakes. I've done this with one other cake and the bride gave me a ribbon she got from Hobby Lobby. I can't remember what the ribbon was made of. I'm thinking normal rylon or whatever material their ribbons are made from. It's wasn't satin. Anyway, the shortening kind of bled thru. I was afraid that was going to happen.
I've use a white ribbon before and it wasn't bad as the red one. I didn't even notice any stains on the white ribbon.

Anyway....do you have any tricks that I can use to attach red ribbon without icing bleeding thru and ruining the look.

Thanks for any advice

Aggie

4 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 5

I use fondant ribbon only so I would go with the precolored Red Satin Ice.

You can also put white fondant ribbon around the cake and put the real ribbon on top of it. Just make sure that the cake cutter knows to pull off the fondant ribbon before cutting.

Real ribbon on cakes is not food safe, it is not manufactured to FDA regulations and there's some nasty stuff in that dye. (Plus there are alot of people who are allergic to various dyes)

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

iron wax paper onto the back of your ribbon

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 5

I just spray the ribbon with Pam! I've also read to use Press-n-Seal on the back, but I'm not patient enough for that.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 5

I'm with the PP. Pam darkens it (a little) evenly and then you can just wrap and go! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%