For Those Uncertain Of Bake Even Strips. Take A Looksie!!

Decorating By Sarsi Updated 8 May 2008 , 12:25am by tonimarie

Sarsi Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 23

Okay, so I thought, well, other people don't use bake even strips....I was in a hurry. I tried it and look what happened!! I was using Fat Daddio's Pans....both cakes were from the same batter.... the ONLY difference was that I didn't use a bake even strip on one.....I'm sure the only reason it was THIS bad is because of the type of cake I made, but still....just wanted to show this!! icon_biggrin.gif

22 replies
butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 23

whoa... i'm making homemade bake strips NOW LOL

vdrsolo Posted 6 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 23

I love my bake even strips!! (My 6" cakes do fine without one, though).

alanahodgson Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 23

I don't have problems with my magic line pans, but any wilton pans I have DEFINATELY dome without bake even strips. Funny how the two go hand in hand. They probably make crappy pans just to sell the strips. Brilliant marketing!

CherryLane Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 23

I agree with Alana, I don't need them with my Magic Line pans.

I bought some Fat Daddio pans and can't stand them.

leah_s Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 23

Ditto everything CherryLane said.

cheferyn Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 23

I wonder what the difference is. I have strips and don't use them. I mostly use wilton pans and have never had a problem. I might try the strips on one and do one with out as a control.

Tootall Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 23

Wow, big difference! LOL I'm just a hobby baker, so I use cheaper Wilton pans icon_smile.gif They dome just slightly, but I just press them down with a dishtowel as soon as they come out of the oven. I might need to give the strips a try some day, though! I'm impressed! icon_biggrin.gif

Charmaine49 Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 23

butterflywings, just what are you using to make your strips??

I would also like to try this out and see if it works.....

mom2allboys Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 23

I used old towels to make my homemade strips. I cut the towel in 4 inch strips long enough to go around my 8" pans. Before I put them on the pan I fold each strip over so it's 2 inches wide. I get them wet, squeeze out excess water and pin them on the pan.

DoniB Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #11 of 23

I use wilton pans and have never had an issue with excessive doming. I also cook at a slightly lower temp, though, so my cakes rarely have domes anyhow. icon_razz.gif (I used to worry about that, since Mom's cakes always had these huge domes! LOL)

Course, my husband and dog don't like it when the cakes come out flat. No cake tops to eat. icon_lol.gif

butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 23

I'm using old terry cloth dish towels. someone else had done a thread about this last week (i think). you just cut strips and fold the strip in 1/2 (depends on the thickness of your terry cloth - mine are old and worn so th-iiiin) and then i'm just going to use those metal binder clips to hold them. you do have to wet them and then wring them out so that are just damp (not dripping wet) - this beats paying wilton's outrageous price for a set

Sarsi Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 23

Yeah, I like Magic line pans the best as well, but when I needed some 4" pans, I was in a hurry and all my cake supplier carried was Fat Daddio's icon_sad.gif I still have problems with Wiltons pans not baking even EVEN when I use the strips!!! ARGH!! I need to switch..

Charmaine49 Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #14 of 23

Thanks butterflywings & mom2allboys for explaining.
I have old towels that I could cut up and use to make these.
So, I will give it a try with my next baking order.

butterflywings Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:46pm
post #15 of 23

bath towels are generally thicker than dish towels, so you might find that you don't need to double the width.. just make it the width of your pan's height

Jayde Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #16 of 23

I bought some strips online, they werent the Wilton ones, they had a velcro strip instead of the pins. I like them, and they were a lot cheaper than Wilton's about $5.00 I think. But what I hate is that they dont fit around my bigger pans! I do make my own, but I use mine a little differently. I cut up a stained bath towel, I also make the 4 inches and double it. I wet mine, wring out the water and then stick mine in the freezer while I mix up my cake. It just firms it up just enough to make it easier to wrap with. I use a large paper clip to secure them. They work great!

Sarsi Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #17 of 23

Hmmm...thanks for all the tips about homemade bake even strips!! You can always pin two of the store bought ones together to make them longer if needed...

vdrsolo Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #18 of 23

I am definitely going to have to try going "stripless" on my Magic Line pans.

I replaced all my Wilton pans with Magic Line pans and was used to having to use the baking strips all the time, so just kept doing it. But I noticed that strips didn't work well with the 6" ML pan where I needed them with the 6" Wilton pan.

Darn.....guess I'll need to do a test cake, I'm sure hubby will be upset!

DFND Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #19 of 23

I use wilton cake pans and as long as I bake my cakes in a 325 degree oven, I don't get domes.

Molly2 Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #20 of 23

I've used both baking strips and towel love them both

Molly2 thumbs_up.gif

tiptop57 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #21 of 23

Nice "Show - N - Tell"!

But try that on a Nordic Bundt pan. LOL icon_lol.gif It's not as easy as you would think........ icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #22 of 23

HAHAHA tiptop!! Did you put bake even strips on a bundt pan???

tonimarie Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:25am
post #23 of 23

Good post! I've been wondering about baking strips. I'm going to try some "homemade" ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%