Does Anyone Use Organic Products?

Decorating By mcook1670 Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 8:46am by bashini

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if anyone make organic cakes? I know using organic products is kinda"in style" now and wondered if anyone uses organic flours to make cakes and if it bakes different? Where do you get your supplies? I know you can order it online but you pay an arm and leg for shipping, I would rather find it local icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 7

I use organic almost exclusively. Organic flour gives a better cake (or bread), and organic eggs, milk and butter gives better taste. But I think the most important reason for using organic, is less toxins in your product. The amount of pesticides and what not in regular produce, flour and dairy is quite frightening.

But of course you have to factor price too, and I for one cannot afford 100% organic baking. So if you have to chose, go for the flour and the eggs.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

I use organic vanilla, spices, raisins, and nuts, which are sold at a local whole foods shop, and find they are actually priced less than at the grocery store. However, they do not come in any packaging except a small plastic bag -- so I save bottles and containers to put them in.

I was able to find everything organic (including baking soda and the like) in my local gocery store. Organic powdered sugar was at Walmart! It was $2 for 1 lb., so I am not using it for now.

If you are in a rural area, you probably can find home-grown eggs at a very reasonable cost. Farms making under $5000 are not eligible to be "certified" organic, but they may use organic methods. Just ask.

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

Emmerdoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmerdoo Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 7

I use organic flour, flavorings, eggs, butter, and fruits. We are so blessed to live around a large Menonite community as well as a fairly sizable (for Alabama anyway) Amish community. Their methods are organic, they have a great product, and to me, their products produce a better tasting, looking and baking cake. You can also talk to a local community college horticulture program or talk with your local 4H/FFA (Future Farmers of America) club. They may be willing to help work out an agreement where they will give you some organic products free/low cost in exchange for your sponsorship and support. Just a thought.

Happy (organic) Caking,

Em

steddy1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steddy1974 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 7

I am from Alabama as well and use organic products as much as I can. Flour, sugar, eggs etc. Though at the moment I am purchasing them from Whole Foods which is not the cheapest, but it is less than getting it at another store since you can buy the 365 store brand and it is less than buying it other places. I hope this helps!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 7

I bake about 90% organic and all vegan. (some organic ingredients are very hard to locate - colors, etc.)

Last year I switched from cake flour to organic unbleached all purpose flour (against advice) and have found my cakes are just as fluffy (not bready at all). I use organic cane sugar, organic soymilk, organic soy butter, shortening, baking powder (non-alum.) and organic dutch cocoa... and a few other things.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:46am
post #7 of 7

I use organic eggs and organic carrots for my carrot cake! I do vegan, gluten free or other on special requests. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%