I Just Had A Lady Call

Decorating By crablegs Updated 7 May 2008 , 7:46pm by ShortcakesSweets

crablegs Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 12

and she needs something to take to her Sunday School class this Sunday. It will be along the lines of a Brunch thing. Does anyone have any ideas that I could give her?

11 replies
KASCARLETT Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 12

Does she want like a decorated cake? A coffee cake would be great!

crablegs Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 12

I was thinking along the lines of a coffee cake or something with a fruit in it. I have never baked any of these before and don't have a good recipe for them. I welcome any recipes

ashcake Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 12

I know a lady that makes an apple cake. She takes 3 eggs, 1 box of cake mix, 2 1/2 cups of pie filling. Mixes it all together. Pours half the batter in then sprinkles cinnamon sugar on top of that. Then adds the remaining batter. Bakes at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. Then puts a cream cheese filling on top as the icing. It is good! HTH.

Suzycakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 12

What about lemon bars? And if you wanted to decorate them you could either put a small fondant flower on each bar or if you could the candy lemon slices that would be real cute on top of each one.

lilyanddayne Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 12

super easy!!!!
make a yellow box cake.
While the yellow cake is still hot, poke holes in it with a fork, pour melted salted butter all over it about a 1/2 stick, then sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon. Whenever I make this cake it is the first one eaten!!! I guess people think it doesn't look sooo bad for them because it doesn't have icing...little do they know about the butter!
I sometimes put a box of vanilla instant pudding,1 extra egg, and an extra 1/2 c milk but it is delicious w/o it! It makes it more dense and moist.

judylynnturner Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 12

For any type of brunch, this is what I usually fix. I am not sure if she would pick this up on Sunday morning or on Saturday afternoon, but she could warm it up herself on Sunday if she picked up on Saturday as it is best served slightly warm.

Also, I don't always use the strawberries. This is flexible if you want to change the berries or substitute any of the other flavored liquid creamer.

I can't remember where I got this recipe, but it sure is nice when family comes for visits as well. I like to put it together on Saturday night when everyone has gone to bed.

French Toast Bake

12 cups cubed (1 inch) soft French bread (about 13 ounces)
8 eggs
3 cups of half and half (can substitute vanilla flavored liquid creamer)
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla

Berry Topping

1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch
¼ cup orange juice
1 bag (12 oz) frozen unsweetened mixed berries (or berry of your choice)
3 cups of fresh strawberries cut into quarters (optional)

Spray bottom and sides of 13x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place bread cubes in baking dish. In large bowl, beat eggs, half and half, ¼ cup sugar, the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla with wire whisk until smooth; pour over the bread cubes. Cover tightly; refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Uncover dish; bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. (Note: The longer the bread soaks, the longer it takes to cook.)

Meanwhile, in a 2 quart saucepan, stir together 1 cup of sugar and the cornstarch. Stir in the orange juice until smooth. Stir in the mixed berries. Next, heat to boiling over medium heat; stirring constantly. Cook about 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until topping is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

Just before serving, stir in strawberries. Garnish with fresh mint leaves if desired.

ccr03 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 12

I'm a big fan of pineapple upside cake.

crablegs Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 12

These are great........... any more out there?

ShortcakesSweets Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:51am
post #10 of 12

I have the recipe for Cypress Inn Muffins, if you're interested. They're delicious.

crablegs Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:08am
post #11 of 12

Yes, that would be great!!!!!!!

ShortcakesSweets Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 12

Here you go:
1 box (15 oz.) Raisin Bran Cereal
3 cups Sugar
5 cups Plain Flour
4 Eggs
2 t. Cinnamon
2 t. Nutmeg
3 t. Baking Soda
2 t. Salt
1 qt. Buttermilk
2 t. Ground Cloves
1 cup Vegetable Oil
2 t. Vanilla

This recipe makes A LOT of mini muffins but they freeze well. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin tins in mini muffin pan. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir to mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Spon mixture into muffin tins. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%